Talk

Advanced search

Aargh, will this be okay? (please say 'yes')

(9 Posts)

Made a vat of pasta sauce last night, enough for loads more meals including last nights, then retired to bed with a stinking migraine, last instructions to dp 'don't forget to put the sauce in the fridge'.

He forgot.

In the winter I wouldn't worry but it was so warm last night, will it still be okay to freeze?

<dithers and prays for answers in the positive>

mousesma Tue 02-Aug-11 06:39:55

Is it a meat or veg sauce? My entirely unscientific answer, based on gut feeling, is if it was meat I would bin, if it was veg I would keep?

tawrag Tue 02-Aug-11 06:43:47

Heat it up to boiling point again, re-cool, then freeze. I do this with soup stocks all the time. So long as you boil it once in 24 hours, you can keep it unrefridgerated for days.

TanteRose Tue 02-Aug-11 06:44:49

OK, how about you reheat the sauce completely (as in to a high temp to kill off any bacteria that might have accumulated overnight) and then freeze it.

and of course, reheat it thoroughly before eating

TanteRose Tue 02-Aug-11 06:45:12

ooh, tawrag, great minds! grin

Vajazzler Tue 02-Aug-11 06:45:32

My entirely unscientific answer would be that if it has dairy in it then i would bin it but otherwise i would keep it. <slinks away to box up the bolognese sauce still in the pan from last night>

tawrag Tue 02-Aug-11 06:49:25

tanterose, something I learned from my mum who lived without refridgeration for years. smile

Ooooh, good tip with the re-boiling, why has that never occured to me?

Is just a tomato (with courgette, celery, onion, garlic) sauce, no meat or dairy.

tawrag Tue 02-Aug-11 06:50:54

Even with meat, re-boiling works fine. My soup stocks are usually made from chicken carcasses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now