Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for long ferry trip?

(9 Posts)
Stylelostinlabour Mon 01-Aug-11 15:04:10

Hello

We are travelling from Portsmouth to Bilbao in August and we will need to feed 5 for Tea, Breakfast, Lunch and Tea - has anyone any top tips to keep the food bill down on the boat?

Think we will do a proper breakfast on the ferry as a treat (fill us all up) and then will only need Lunch and Tea before tracking through Spain.

Other than sandwiches any other great tips to feed the hungry clan that will keep fresh for 24 hours?

MmeLindor. Mon 01-Aug-11 15:11:19

Would you have a minifridge in your cabin? They do on some of the cabins when we go overnight to Newcastle from Amsterdam.

I would do sandwiches for the first evening, as they are only going to be good on the first day.

Breakfast well and have coffee and cake about 3pm.

Pasta salad, made with dried tomatoes and olives and dressed with olive oil and vinegar?

Tins of tuna or salmon, take a jar of mayo and a loaf of bread and make up fresh sandwiches?

Stylelostinlabour Mon 01-Aug-11 15:48:03

Thanks for ideas - no mini fridge on this ferry, will have cool bag and was going to put a frozen loaf in to keep that nice and cold for mayo/milk etc.

Just think we might be sick of bread before even get to France!

MmeLindor. Mon 01-Aug-11 15:50:52

That sounds like a good idea.

What about sausage rolls? Or pork pies? If you put them in frozen then they would be thawed in time for lunch. Eaten with a pasta salad.

Pot Noodle? Take a travel kettle.

said Mon 01-Aug-11 15:55:28

Pot noodles? Only need to ask for a flask of boiling water from kitchen?

said Mon 01-Aug-11 15:56:04

Ah, x post there.

Stylelostinlabour Mon 01-Aug-11 17:52:15

36 years I have managed to go without ever trying a pot noodle and I think I can go another 36! But travel kettle is a good idea

How long do you thing a pasta salad would last?

said Mon 01-Aug-11 17:54:15

You don't know what you're missing.

MmeLindor. Tue 02-Aug-11 07:55:17

If you don't put any cheese into it, it should be fine for the 24 hrs. Or maybe cook the pasta and take oil/vinegar mix in a bottle. With some herbs/dried toms in a little bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now