Talk

Advanced search

i've been blackberry picking! :)

(21 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 01-Aug-11 12:58:16

ds very enthusiastically started picking them and now i have 2 large punnets worth) still need to root out the green ones thohmm)

what shall i do with them apart from crumble?

catwithflowers Mon 01-Aug-11 13:01:10

jam? pie? blackberry sauce is v nice with duck. Use them,sweetend, over meringue to make a pavlova type thing?

Paschaelina Mon 01-Aug-11 13:02:10

Get some rasps and make Summer pudding grin

Paschaelina Mon 01-Aug-11 13:02:21

or flapjack

CSLewis Fri 05-Aug-11 13:15:52

Look up bbc good food website for their blackberry&coconut oaty tray-bake thing - scrumptious! The ones near me aren't ripe yet; apparently different varieties ripen weeks apart...grr...

crazynanna Fri 05-Aug-11 13:20:29

There was a Blackberry thread recently,and someone mentioned Blackberry vodka grin would love the recipe

MoominmammasHandbag Fri 05-Aug-11 17:11:41

Homemade blackberry jam is just so good; seems to have about ten times the flavour of strawberry or raspberry.

Littlepurpleprincess Sat 06-Aug-11 12:35:31

I plan on making blackberry vodka this year!

crazynanna Sat 06-Aug-11 12:39:20

How is it made Littlepurplrprincess? smile

twinklypearls Sat 06-Aug-11 12:40:43

Are blackberries out already? I now have my plans for this afternoon.

Littlepurpleprincess Sat 06-Aug-11 13:01:47

I'm not sure, it's on a thread on here somewhere. I think you make it like sloe gin. Put the blackberries in a jar then and sugar and water, fill up with booze then put the lid on and turn every day for two weeks. Then you filter it through a sieve and put into pretty jars.

I may have missed out some steps there so don't quote me on it.

I'm not sure if the blackberries are out round here yet but I'm going for walk this afternoon to find out.

crazynanna Sat 06-Aug-11 13:04:47

Thankyou Littlepurpleprincess smile

I will make it my day's ambition have a little search for said thread wink

Littlepurpleprincess Sun 07-Aug-11 20:27:44

Well I went hunting for blackberries today. There are tonnes of green ones but I got a pot full of ripe ones so I will be going back in a week or so and put the ones I got today in the freezer.

Lilyloo Sun 07-Aug-11 20:29:21

ooh some blackberry recipes would be good , i have 3 bushes and we usually loose the fruit to the birds as i don't know what to do with it.
Am liking the vodka one !!

Whenisitmysleepytime Sun 07-Aug-11 20:34:14

i made jam with mine. smile it's YUMMY!
recipe here

HannahHack Sun 07-Aug-11 22:09:26

Where are you? I went out looking for some today but they weren't ripe yet in Suffolk. Did stumble accross a cherry plum tree though, and now have two kilos in the freezer ;-)

BTW I really like blackberry jam as it is so eary. Some people complain about the pips but it isn't that much worse than other berries imo. Otherwise, blackberry tequila or brandy!

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 08-Aug-11 08:13:49

I'm in Torquay. smile

TheHouseofMirth Mon 08-Aug-11 08:58:14

Blackberries here in London are almost a month early I think. I'm just making some blackberry cordial and there are some good recipes here.

Littlepurpleprincess Tue 09-Aug-11 16:30:54

I got a glut of rhubarb yesturday so I made some chutney.

colditz Tue 09-Aug-11 16:32:07

I make jam.

But I add a couple of spoons of my blackberry jam to beef stew.

AngelDog Wed 10-Aug-11 12:55:53

Lovely in porridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now