Talk

Advanced search

Pizza base

(7 Posts)
Mishy1234 Mon 01-Aug-11 11:46:35

The children love helping to make pizza, but I never seem to be able to make thin pizza bases. They always end up thick, which is too stodgy for the kids.

Is there a particular recipe or technique for making thin, crispy bases?

Meglet Mon 01-Aug-11 11:48:03

I just use the packet mix blush. I have made it from scratch in the past but it does end up 'breadier' and is more of a faff.

Mishy1234 Mon 01-Aug-11 11:52:24

What mix do you use Meglet? I've seen pre-made bases, but never a mix. Part of the reason I make the bases is because the kids like doing that bit. Could still do that with a mix though.

mousymouse Mon 01-Aug-11 11:57:17

for one baking tray:

250g white or brown bread flour
100ml water
50ml olive oil (sunflower oil would do as well)
half a tablespoon dried active yeast (or half a sachet quick yeast)
pinch of salt

knead very well, leave for at least 30 min. roll out thinly (oil makes it less sticky and more stretchy).

for the topping I use double concentrated tomatoe paste (less soggy than tomatoes) and the toppings to taste.

Meglet Mon 01-Aug-11 13:37:00

We use the sainsburys own (or morrisons / tescos whatever... they all seem to be the same...).

It's usually near the bread and flour mixes.

TheSkiingGardener Tue 02-Aug-11 12:56:37

I love really thin pizza bases and use the good housekeeping recipe

225g strong white bread flour, and extra for putting on surface.
1 packet of dried yeast
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and extra to put on pizza dough.
150ml water water (from the tap – not a hot kettle)

Mix all the dry ingredients then slowly add water until it forms a soft dough, you probably won't need all the water. Knead for 10 minutes and then leave for about an hour. I then take 1/3 of it and roll it out really, really thin, and put that on some oiled kitchen foil, then top it and throw it on the foil on a hot pizza stone.

Lovely.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 02-Aug-11 13:07:47

My standard base for a 12" pizza plate is a Delia recipe and I make it in the Magimix with the dough blade.

8oz bread flour
1 egg
some olive oil
sachet dried yeast
salt and a pinch of sugar
water

Get everything going except the water. Slowly pour in water a little at a time. When the dough clumps together and spins round the middle in a lump let it run for a short time before turning out onto a floured surface and giving an extra knead. Roll out until it's the right size.

Brush oil on top and then add toppings sparingly... too much and everything goes soggy. Set aside for about 30 mins before baking in a hot oven.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now