Talk

Advanced search

Flapjacks with chocolate chips - what am I doing wrong?

(10 Posts)
Holymoly321 Sun 31-Jul-11 11:51:08

Often make apple flapjacks for the DC's (only way to get apple into em!), but thought, hey, it's summer hols, make them a bit more special and whack some chocolate chips in the mix. I thought the flapjacks would be flapjacks with choc chips, but the chips melted straight away when I mixed them in with the oats and so they are now chocolaty flavoured flapjacks that look a suspect brown colour! What did I do wrong? I thought the chips would stay as chips.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 31-Jul-11 11:53:19

Chocolate does melt you know grin It no likey the heat. Have you tried turning the temp of the oven down and taking them out a little earlier?

Dumbledoresgirl Sun 31-Jul-11 11:56:48

My son makes this mistake too! He likes making flapjacks, and likes putting choc chips in them but, yes, they always melt and turn the flapjack brown (and don't even taste that chocolatey). I don't know the answer. The syrupy mixture is too hot and melts the chocolate - would it work to leave the syrup to cool, then mix in the chips and put it in the oven?

Holymoly321 Sun 31-Jul-11 12:10:27

It's so frustrating! How do the shops make choc chip flapjacks? Maybe next time I will leave mix to cool before adding chips. When I make choc chip cookies the mix is cool and the chips stay chips in the oven so must be the answer!

belledechocchipcookie Sun 31-Jul-11 12:13:55

They use cheap, crappy 'chocolate' that melts at a higher temp. Chocolate melts at body temperature, hence why it 'melts in your mouth.' I doubt they use quality chocolate.

CleanSheetsAndSmoothLegs Sun 31-Jul-11 13:09:17

Do you reckon it might work if you froze them beforehand? It might give you a bit longer with them holding shape during the mixing bit. Then when they are in the oven they could just melt and reset in te same position in the oats, so are more distinguishable as separate areas of chocolate.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 31-Jul-11 13:32:56

Nope. It's the heat of the cooker. You could try part cooking them, squishing the chips in before finishing??

Dumbledoresgirl Sun 31-Jul-11 14:53:20

No, it isn't the heat of the cooker because the same choc chips that melt in flapjacks retain their shape and do not blend with the mixture when I make choc chip cookies, or choc chip cakes. The hot syrupy mixture that goes into flapjacks and is hot before the flapjacks are put in the oven is the source of the problem.

fascicle Sun 31-Jul-11 23:59:46

I had this problem and the solution was, as Dumbledoresgirl suggests, to allow the hot mixture to cool for a while before adding the choc chips.

SarahScot Mon 01-Aug-11 17:53:15

Yip, I make choc chip flapjacks and just leave the mixture to completely cool before mixing them in.

HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now