Talk

Advanced search

Genuine problem!! Milk substitute that tastes most like milk??

(4 Posts)
Grainger Sun 31-Jul-11 09:15:56

My 2.5 year old son LOVES his bottles still and sees them as a real treat and comfort every day. The problem being, he has in the past (just before his 1st birthday) developed a temporary lactose intolerance after a bad stomach bug. In that case, we switched to soya formula for a while and he was fine.

Since then, we would be cautious about giving him milk again if he has been sick and given him soya milk from a carton or watered down cows milk for a day or 2. We haven't been certain that he had the same intolerance those times but chosen to be cautious.

Anyway, he has now been vomitting on an off for over a week. He hasn't been sick every day, but the last time was yesterday and it varies in how much he's puking etc. But he's been fine within a few mins every time. Docs can find no underlying cause so we are assuming that it was just a virus at the start and now when we give him milk (even watered down) he struggles to digest it again. Trouble is, any soya milk we have bought him this time he has turned his nose up at.

Given that he loves his milk, it would be hard enough on him anyway, but this is the WORST TIMING EVER for this to happen. I am just out of hospital after having DS2 by section on wednesday. We are so wary of him potentially being jealous etc, and I've felt bad having been away from him for a few days. Thought he was better on Thurs, but he was sick a bit yesterday morning and then threw up everywhere on our way home from hospital. Five mins later he wanted outside to play.

Is there a milk substitute that actually tastes like milk, and preferably, LOOKS like it too?? He can see us feeding the baby and just misses his bottle big time.

EldonAve Sun 31-Jul-11 09:45:32

Have you tried lactofree?

Grainger Sun 31-Jul-11 09:46:46

No. Does it taste like milk??

Seona1973 Sun 31-Jul-11 12:09:20

it is cows milk but with the lactose broken down. You get it along with the other milks in the fridge at the supermarket

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: