Talk

Advanced search

Which kitchen machines/gadgets do you actually use?

(21 Posts)
ComradeJing Sun 31-Jul-11 04:24:43

Which gadgets do you always use? Which are gathering dust?

Always:
magimix food processor (haven't grated cheese by hand since I got it)
Breville slow cooker
Nespresso citize coffee machine
Stick blender
Toaster
Kettle
Microwave

Never:
Various coffee grinders, percolators, etc
Juicer

Thinking about getting a pasta maker and bread maker but worried they will be added to the never list.

WalterFlipschicks Sun 31-Jul-11 04:29:58

Dont bither with a pasta maker, the pasta is horrid, fresh pasta is soggy and gross!
Ive always fancied a bread maker though.
Mine are
Always -
espresso machine
Milk frother
Kettle

Rarely
Microwave

Never
Slow cooker- want to use it more
Food processor

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 31-Jul-11 08:46:39

Blender, stick blender/mini food-processor, Magimix, bread machine, kettle, toaster, microwave, coffee grinder.

sybilfaulty Sun 31-Jul-11 08:55:38

Love love love my magimix and use it nearly every day. Makes things quicker. We haven't had a microwave for 7 years and I can honestly say I don't miss it. I read about Nigella melting chocolate in hers and how she won't do it any other way, but that aside I have never had microwave envy. I adapt the bits of Jamie's 30 M meals which are in a microwave, but they don't take 30m anyway so I don't mind!

Breadmaker - don't have and don't want. I don't eat bread and cannot be bothered to make it. Bakery bread fine for family.

Slow cooker - have but don't use. SHould use more. Maybe in winter.

Pasta maker - don't have. I love pasta but rarely eat it as I try to be as low carb as possible and the dried stuff is completely fine.

Best other gadgets

- really good knives. I only have 2 and would like more but they are worth their weight in gold and i use them for every meal. Global are my favourite.

Casseroles - Creuset are fab. Use them without the casserole part for potatoes, pasta, shep pie etc. Look great and last for ever.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 31-Jul-11 09:01:41

use: slow cooker, toaster, microwave, yogurt maker. stick blender

didnt use (so gave away): breadmaker (doesnt compare to the bread I make wink

arpeggio Sun 31-Jul-11 09:05:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fenouille Sun 31-Jul-11 13:58:46

Use all the time:
Kettle
Toaster
Nespresso machine
Percolator (sp?)
Multifunction microwave/grill/oven
Good casserole dishes
Pestle and mortar

Love but don't use as much as I used to:
KitchenAid
Juicer

Never use/Sold:
Bread maker (use KitchenAid to mix and finish by hand)
Pasta maker

iklboo Sun 31-Jul-11 14:03:39

Kettle
Toaster
Slow cooker
Hand blender
Mixer
Bread maker

Don't use:
Steamer
George Foreman grill
Breville toaster (FIL gave us this. It's one from the 80s he didn't use anymore hmm)

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 31-Jul-11 14:08:09

Use
Food Processor always
Microvave
Hand blender
Steamers for veg

Don't use
Expresso Machine
Fondu set (that's for the bin actually - given to us as a pressie)
Pasta maker

Wouldn't consider buying

Breadmaker - life is far too short for making bread.

AmeliaSachs Sun 31-Jul-11 14:12:20

Could not live without:

Magimix
Nescafe Dulce Gusto
Microwave (we have 2!)
Toaster
Hand blender

Dont use:
Slowcooker, being a SAHM I can do the slow cooking in the oven 'cos i'm at home to keep an eye on it
Icecream maker

Don't own:
Pasta maker
Bread maker
Kettle (we have a stove top one)

Lizzun Sun 31-Jul-11 16:24:07

Apart from the essentials - kettle & toaster...

Until LO came along (10 weeks ago) I used my bread maker ALL the time, lovely to have fresh bread and it takes a matter of minutes to set up - took sandwiches to work and lovely fresh bread for weekend lunches, mmm! Have used it occassional since LO arrived, but then again rarely use the kettle at the moment...

Also love our slow cooker, especially in the colder months, lovely to come in after a day out to smell yummy dinner nearly ready... Plus a good way to entertain without getting stuck in the kitchen!

Have one of those handheld chopper/blender/whisk thingies by Braun - I call it the whizzigig... Really useful for making things like soup and fresh pesto or curry pastes... Keep thinking about upgrading to a "proper" food processor, but they are so expensive and huge, wouldn't know where to store it!

iklboo Sun 31-Jul-11 19:14:48

Lizzlun - come winter I'll probably use the slow cooker to make casserole & dumplings and the bread maker to make the door-step gravy mopper-uppers grin

pointydog Sun 31-Jul-11 19:20:41

Pots and pans and pestles don't count as machines/gadgets.

ilovemydogandMrObama Sun 31-Jul-11 19:21:08

What type of magimix do people recommend?

Couldn't live without hand blender. great for soups/sauces...

Paschaelina Sun 31-Jul-11 19:23:59

I use...

Hmm...

A cheapy handheld mixer for baking cakes. A hob kettle.

Don't own anything else sad

going Sun 31-Jul-11 19:26:40

Nespresso machine
Kenwood chef, I use it for bread making most days much better than a break machine!

notcitrus Sun 31-Jul-11 19:42:29

Use:
Microwave about 5 times a day (since ds...)
Kettle
Electric hand mixer for making cakes and whipped cream
Cafetiere each weekend
Magimix not as often as I would if there were countertop space for the blade box, but at least I have space for the thing itself.

Have had and got rid of:
Slow cooker - I cook stews on the hob and then heat the next night
Sandwich toaster - might be useful when I have teenagers?
Steamer pans

Don't use
Stick blender - I ought to try this as I have one - how big a bowl do you need to avoid splashing? And can it puree soup or just blend stuff?
Garlic press
Coffee bean grinder - it needs a UK plug and I got it just after my friends with the coffee bean company sold it!

Don't have:
Breadmaker - seem to make too crusty bread with a hole in, and don't eat that much bread
Icecream maker - tempting but I eat too much icecream anyway!
Pastamaker, coffee machines - no need.

FancyALittle Sun 31-Jul-11 20:01:28

Mixer (a KitchenAid that sits on the counter & I use it all the time)
Blender (upright one with jug handle)
Miniature food processor (little Cuisinart one for houmous/curry pastes etc)
Coffee grinder
Kettle

Don't have a microwave or toaster, like my surfaces clear except for the flashy mixer!

BodyUnknown Sun 31-Jul-11 20:20:15

I couldn't live without my Magimix, it has a permanent spot on the counter of my (very small) kitchen, it is indispensable. I have a small baby though - might not use it quite so often otherwise.

Garlic press definitely obligatory.

Microwave - useful now I have one again, but didn't have one for years and never missed it.

Definitely need a toaster, and would love a bread machine but I don't think I eat enough bread (I always have to freeze half a bought loaf).

Total waste: slow cooker (brilliant, but haven't used it for a year!)
Anything to do with coffee (love coffee, drink instant every day as can't be bothered getting grinder/percolater/cafetiere out, awful I know...)
Juicer
Smoothie maker
Egg poacher
Ice cream maker
Handheld blender (just use Magimix always on the counter)
Yoghurt maker
Fondue set (definitely an optimistic purchase - it's Le Creuset too but still, can't be fagged...)

ChrissasMissis Sun 31-Jul-11 20:45:47

My Cuisinart mini processor - endlessly useful and a very good investment. Great for making spice pastes and similar such things. Will also chop onions if I'm feeling lazy...

ComradeJing Mon 01-Aug-11 15:24:35

See when I was young we had an aga but I find it hard on our crap gas Hobs to regulate the temperature so slow cooker has saved me. I can't tell you how many times I've checked on something that should simmer to find it boiling or the gas off.

Steamer YY I forgot this. Also use all the time.

ilovemydogs I have the biggest magimix food processor. The 5200XL I think. We use it every day. Anything that needs slicing or shredding gets chucked in so mushrooms, cheese... It makes cooking quite a bit faster and has a smaller bowl which we use for baby food, pesto, etc

notcitrus I use my stick blender directly in the pan of soup, no splash. That's the only thing I use it for but it's indispensable for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now