Talk

Advanced search

Veggie friend stopping soon.

(5 Posts)
5inthebed Sat 30-Jul-11 21:59:14

What can I cook to impress, and also serve with meat on the side (her DC eat meat).

Pref something I can cook/prepare in advance or stick in the over and just cook the meat before we eat.

TIA

DrPolidori Sat 30-Jul-11 22:26:01

Right. I cook a veg meal and a meat meal every night, in my cafe.

One of the quickest and easiest and most impressive veggie dishes I do is sweetcorn polenta with aubergine sauce. I cant't do qauntities, but I suggest for four boil frozen sweetcorn ( you can estimate the amount they might need) whizz it up with butter and salt and pepper, and a bit of the boiling water. Fry a couple of small diced aubergines until brown, mix in a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste, stir again (if you are feeling flush pop in some white wine) other wise then stir in a tin or two of chopped toms, a tablespoon of sugar, salt and pepper and let it bubble down to a lovely sauce. Add some herbs to taste.

When you are ready to serve, mix in some feta cheese into the sweetcorn.

Serve with "polenta" on bottom, sauce on top, and if serving meat ( suggest lamb chops) pop them on the side.

spiderslegs Sat 30-Jul-11 22:26:14

Depends what the rest of you are eating, I usually try to keep things in the same style.

If I've got a mixture of veggies & meat-eaters coming I usually do something like a mezze or a curry with lots of different dishes, some veggie, some not, then everone's eating pretty much the same & it's less faff.

Or do a meat lasagne & a vege lasagne.

There's loads you can do, what do you like to cook?

Shazzystar Mon 01-Aug-11 12:16:40

I highly recommend this veggie shepherd's pie:
cookmarkit.com/urls/veggie-shepherd-s-pie-with-sweet-potato-mash-recipe-recipes-bbc-good-food

I've made it many times for veggies and non-veggies and it's always a big hit. Really tasty and so easy.

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Mon 01-Aug-11 13:22:30

This veggie tagine is easy and very tasty ... here, you could serve that along side some morrocon lamb for the meat eaters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now