Talk

Advanced search

PERFECT CAULIFLOWER CHEESE

(3 Posts)
enprovence Sat 30-Jul-11 21:07:04

I just wanted to share this with anyone desperate to find a way to make homemade non-watery cauliflower cheese.
I have made too many watery disasters and this was perfect, slightly cheating, but it works!!

Steam cauliflower florets over a pan of boiling water for about 10 mins, until you can pass a knife through.

Leave to cool then put in oven dish and pour on a tub of four cheese sauce (I use Waitrose) with a teaspoon of dijon or English mustard.

Or you can make a cheese sauce yourself - see At bottom.

Add a few diced cooked, but not too soft, potatoes, if you have any leftover or can be bothered, but not essential.

Mix a bit to bind it all then top with lots if grated mature cheddar and season.

Bake for about 1/2 hour on around 200 degrees.

When golden and bubbling, take out and it will be perfect!! Eat with a roast dinner or with lots of crusty bread!

( Make a roux with flour and butter, add milk gradually to thicken, grated mature cheddar and stir in strong mustard, English or Dijon, plus season, the essential is to make sure the sauce is really thick)

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 30-Jul-11 21:10:39

enprovence I second your recommendation for the Watirose four cheese sauce.

Dh has to have gluten free and it is suitable.

If making home made I get better results without butter in the roux. However I use cornflour rather than wheat flour for dh. I also cut down on the amount of mature cheddar, and substitute a smaller amount of parmesan. (works out slightly cheaper and with less saturated fat)

When starting my sauce I mix a small amount of milk into the cornflour. I then continue (not on the heat) to stir in the rest of the milk a little at a time, once it is combined I heat is slowly, stirring all the time.

Also cauliflower cheese is fab with baked potatoes or with a bit of pasta stirred into it - makes a complete meal. I usually add a few peas or some cooked tomato to add colour. smile

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sat 30-Jul-11 21:15:40

I use delias cheats sauce, and sometime add some leeks to it, over the cf and bake yum yum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now