Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake help

(8 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Sat 30-Jul-11 16:09:41

DD wants a football shaped cake. Easy enough as I am not doind a 3D one. What I am stuck on it how to do the white/black hexagons. Any ideas anyone please?

either print one off or use the principles of geometry and a pair of compasses and protractor (sp?) to draw one, then use it as a template and cut them out of black fondant icing, place on top of the white-iced cake :-)
Simples!

CaptainNancy Sat 30-Jul-11 16:29:30

I have seen hexagonal cutters (used fipor scones I think) from baking shops or ebay. Maybe you could cut the hexagons out of rolled out fondant icing (you can get ready made in supermarkets if thast's easier. To make the actual cake, what about cooking it in a pudding basin in the microwave? (Microwave sponge cake recipe easy to find online- sorry am on phone)

CaptainNancy Sat 30-Jul-11 16:30:25

Fipor= for btw... sorry

TheOriginalFAB Sat 30-Jul-11 17:26:30

Sorry, I forgot about this and went off and made a strawberry drizzle cake grin.

I can do the shape it was what to make the black and white thing with but ready made fondant icing will work well. Can you get black?

startail Sat 30-Jul-11 17:30:52

Yes either from a cake shop or in the multi colour packs from the supermarket. Don't try and make it. Other colours are ok, but black never seems to go black. Your kitchen and hands dogrin

geraldinetheluckygoat Sat 30-Jul-11 17:31:36

you can get black fondant in a small pack in the multi pack of coloured icing that regalice do, you can get it in tesco and sainsburys.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 30-Jul-11 17:35:02

Thank you for your help. I will be in Sainsbury's looking bewildered and wondering why I am not buying the cake come Monday grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now