Talk

Advanced search

baking gluten free bread

(5 Posts)
mousymouse Sat 30-Jul-11 15:06:34

I am baking my own bread, mostly using the sponge method.
if I want to bake gluten free, can I just substitute the normal flour with gluten free?

MoreBeta Sat 30-Jul-11 15:14:03

Gluten free flour has no gluten in it so you need to add eggs and Xanthan Gum.

I use a breadmaker recipe which has slightly different proportions to normal bread. I suggest you use Doves Farm gluten free breadmaking flour (purple bag) that already has Xanthan Gum in it and look for a gluten free bread recipe on the internet.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 30-Jul-11 15:25:15

I had the most godawful trouble making gluten free bread until I realised that I was trying to make it like normal bread, into a dough.

Once I realised that it was a thick paste you made and not a solid dough, I've been making it every week and it's coming out gorgeous grin

I use the juvela white mix that you get on prescription. All you have to add to that is the sachet of yeast that comes with it and some warm water.

Then cover it with a plastic bag for 30-40 minutes and then bung it in the oven.

mousymouse Sat 30-Jul-11 16:02:18

hmm eggs is another thing I want to avoid...
the shop bought breads we tasted were all a bit dry, but ok when toasted. will home made bread turn up similar?
have a breadmaker, so sticky paste would be ok for me smile

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 30-Jul-11 16:27:27

No. home made bread is soft and springy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now