Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pudding for 30 - inspire me!

(21 Posts)
Zwitterion Fri 29-Jul-11 18:21:28

I've been asked to make a dessert for 30 people, to follow chilli. I can't cook it there, so it needs to hold up to an hour or so travelling (motorway and twisty country lanes). Also possibly could be hot, but car has air conditioning. I can do some final bits on site - assembly, whipping cream etc.

So far I've come up with DIY eton mess - I could do the meringues in advance and if they break on the journey it doesn't matter. Cream can be whipped there. I thought if just had the ingredients on the table people could choose just strawberries and cream if they don't like meringue.

Another thought is a big fruit salad, but perhaps this is a bit dull.

Any suggestions clever foody people? Thanks in advance!

DrPolidori Fri 29-Jul-11 18:25:36

Eton Mess is an excellent idea! Don't forget to make a fresh strawberry sauce as well, to complete the dish.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 29-Jul-11 21:06:11

Why not mini apple pies?
Butter shortcrust pastry in bun tins with lightly stewed Bramley apple filling ( some with cinnamon) then top with lattice pastry.
When they are cooked brush with melted apricot jam and icing sugar. Back in oven to carmelise.

Serve with a cheffy scoop of ice- cream.

Sounds a faff but once you get a production line going it's easy.
Easier to transport and serve than a large pie.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 29-Jul-11 21:08:22

Or a big,big,big,big chocolate brownie with white chocolate chunks and pecans.
Make it a couple of days ahead to mature.
Nom nom nom

LoveInAColdChamberOfSecrets Fri 29-Jul-11 21:09:04

I was going to suggest Eton Mess but I see you're there already! I think that would be lovely, and not too much faff. Would suggest posh fruit salad but peeling and chopping fruit for 30 would be quite an undertaking...

littlemum007 Fri 29-Jul-11 21:18:24

personally I don't think eton mess follows a chilli. I think it needs something with orange and chocolate, maybe a choc/orange mousse with chocolate orange on the side.... with the dullness of colour in a chilli the brightness of orange with chocolate perhaps further garnished with fresh mint would look brilliant - what about choc/mint mouse with segments of orange.... or do it anyway you choose. Good lck

briedog Fri 29-Jul-11 21:22:06

Eton Mess sounds lovely. Mind you, so do brownies - You could always combine the two, with a few marshmallows and some icecream (I had something similar at Giraffe last weekend, and could eat it again now. Twice.)

spiderslegs Fri 29-Jul-11 21:22:43

I would bake (or buy) biscotti, get some good dark chocolate, fresh fruit (really ripe & oozing, probably white peaches or nectarines at this time of year) & some vin santo, or other pudding wine.

A feast, really, I 'd be thrilled with that for pudding.

If you want to make something, everyone loves a trifle if done well.

You can prepare all you components in advance.

Soak your cakes (buy or make madeira) with marsala, cook up a mix of summer fruits with some caster sugar until they bleed slightly, make or buy a decent custard, layer up, top with whipped cream, decorate as you fancy.

spiderslegs Fri 29-Jul-11 21:23:45

Either way, it beats the chilli.

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jul-11 21:24:48

I was going to sugguest meringues, cream and strawberries - deconstructed Eton Mess!

Zwitterion Fri 29-Jul-11 21:25:53

Thanks all. These are great suggestions.

LordOfTheFlies apple pies sound great. We have masses of apples this year so would be quite cheap too.

LittleMum that's my worry too. Chocolate orange something sounds lovely. I'll do some research. I was thinking a fool could work too for the same reasons, maybe gooseberry, served with madeleines.

spiderslegs Fri 29-Jul-11 21:26:46

In fact, if it's chilli to start, I would but some decent vanilla ice-cream (bung it in a cool-box with some packs) , chopped summer fruit & a nice liqueur for people to slug on the top.

Keep it simple, they have.

headfairy Fri 29-Jul-11 21:27:02

tiramisu scale the recipe up to feed 30 (or make several smaller ones if you don't have a serving dish big enough)

Popbiscuit Fri 29-Jul-11 21:28:12

I'd do brownies...think they go better with Chilli and less mess/faffing on site. Perhaps two different kinds?

Zwitterion Fri 29-Jul-11 21:29:36

Thanks.

Spiderslegs I love that idea. A friend once served a beautiful dessert of coconut yoghurt, dark chocolate, nectarines and biscuits.

Love the trifle in theory, unfortunately custard is the only thing I don't like, can't even cook with it......

Zwitterion Fri 29-Jul-11 21:32:10

briedog and popbiscuits brownies are a great idea too. Perhaps blondies?

Goodness, loads to think about (and drool over)

Thank you!

kippersandjam Fri 29-Jul-11 21:34:01

you could get some big foil oven trays from any big supermarket and make giant chocolate bread and butter puddings in the trays. follow the recipe on delia online and multiply the recipe to get what you want. You can even make it the night before and store them in the fridge. They are easy to transport, easily pre sliced, can be warmed up easily if you want to serve hot (microwave!) and you can serve with jugs of cream or ice cream.
i think its lovely after chillismile

or make shortbread, slice into 30, easy to transport, put on plate with some fresh berries, bit of coulis round it (premade and stored in a jar, make sure its runny enough to drizzle with a tea spoon) and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. all easily transported and put together. good luck- don;t forget your apronsmile

storminabuttercup Fri 29-Jul-11 21:35:09

How about chocolate fudge cake and cream?

Do you fancy cooking for 31? :-D

breatheslowly Fri 29-Jul-11 21:38:55

I find that a massive fruit salad full of summer fruits (nothing boring like apple, pear or banana) always goes down very well and people love to think they are being healthy as they have a bit of fruit next to their eton mess.

headfairy Fri 29-Jul-11 21:41:44

Will the pudding be for adults? My mum often does fresh pineapple chopped up and served with a generous dollop of coconut rum. It's really yummy and terribly simple. You could serve it with some kind of coconut cake if you think it's too simple. Both could be prepared the day before.

Zwitterion Sat 30-Jul-11 19:47:16

Coconut could be good too.

Thanks again - great suggestions. I will report back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now