Talk

Advanced search

Plums

(12 Posts)
seedlessgrape Fri 29-Jul-11 15:39:38

Hi, my plum tree is producing more fruit this year than I can shake a stick at!

I have in mind to make some jam and/or chutney and although I'm quite a decent cook I admit to never having made either before so any help or recommended recipes would be good.

Also, if I make either or both now and put them in sealed jars, will they keep for a few months? I'm thinking of Christmas pressies for family.

I think I'm turning into a domestic goddess!! shock

Thanks!

Xiaoxiong Fri 29-Jul-11 15:46:29

Apparently this chutney will keep for 2 years if you seal in sterilised jars:

www.cottagesmallholder.com/cottage-smallholder-plum-chutney-recipe-70

And it says it gets better with age too, so would be perfect by Christmas I would think. Would be amazing with Boxing Day leftovers!

<cursing my dearth of plums>

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 29-Jul-11 15:52:13

Seedless, I can't claim to have made any chutney for 30 years, but Jam is no problem. Halve your fruit and remove the stones and wrap them in muslin (or I use one of those little nets that comes with washing machine tablets). Layer the fruit with sugar in a deep bowl, cover and leave overnight. This way, most of the sugar dissolves before you start heating it.

Boil up the following day, with the stones. When it reaches setting point, take off the heat and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before jarring in heated and sterilised jars. It should easily keep for a couple of years in a cool and dark place. In fact, it is probably better left for several months before eating, so Christmas presents should be ideal.

seedlessgrape Fri 29-Jul-11 15:53:32

Thanks Tyelperion - seems easy enough even for a novice like me!

seedlessgrape Fri 29-Jul-11 15:55:05

Thanks SHD. Presumably I can add things to the jam, ie other fruit or some spices (cinammon) for example?

MamaChocoholic Fri 29-Jul-11 16:10:47

plum jam is really easy and lovely. will keep for a year. I made loads this year over two days and am now all plummed out - suggest you get a big saucepan if you're going to make a lot rather than (like me) juggling 3 pans at a time.

also if you stone the fruit and bag it you can freeze and make crumbles etc which is nice in winter. or stew the plums with a little vanilla and sugar and it becomes a great sauce for ice cream (also freezable).

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 29-Jul-11 16:44:18

Seedless, you can add other fruit, but just be aware that plums are very high in pectin, and the fruit you add may not be so high. You might need to use Jam sugar or preserving sugar (or Certo) just to boost it a little, although apples would be OK.

hellymelly Fri 29-Jul-11 16:46:35

My plum tree is also having a bumper year,so maybe I too will try and make Jam having read mamachoc's post (jam novice)

MamaChocoholic Fri 29-Jul-11 16:51:02

grin I used the second of these recipes for both wild cherry plums and bigger "domesticated" ones. it also describes the easiest method I've used for testing that the jam has set.

MamaChocoholic Fri 29-Jul-11 16:51:25

forgot the link! www.cottagesmallholder.com/two-wild-plum-jam-recipes-38

IndridCold Sat 30-Jul-11 15:08:30

Do have a go at the jam, it really is easy. Also, Delia has a recipe for a delicious Dowerhouse chutney which uses plums. It's in her Complete Cookery Course book if you have it (or know someone who does) mine has gone walkabout ...

seedlessgrape Mon 01-Aug-11 14:43:42

Thanks all - you've certainly given me food for thought (oh God, what a bad pun!).

I think I shall put aside part of next weekend (after carpet removal, floor-sanding, tip visiting, wardrobe dismantling and the usual less demanding domestic chores!) to de-plum the tree and start jam and chutney making. Oooh what fun!!

I shall bear all your ideas in mind as well as referring to Delia, Hugh, Jamie, Sophie, Margaret, Nigella et al...... how can one person have so many cookbooks, some of which are so old that Fanny Craddock must have read them!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now