Talk

Advanced search

what can I do with smoked trout, please?

(12 Posts)
Ponders Wed 27-Jul-11 22:43:30

I got 3 packets from Waitrose today, reduced to 99p from £4.99 shock

I have to stick them in the freezer for now but what can I do with them, please????

Popbiscuit Wed 27-Jul-11 22:45:32

I think you can make some sort of dip or pate with them...try googling that? Have also seen it used as a filling for jackets mixed with creme fraiche, I think. Sorry...a bit vague.

Ponders Wed 27-Jul-11 22:47:36

oh don't worry, Popbiscuit, I'm even vaguer grin

I have had smoked trout pate before (I think - may be getting confused with mackerel though...)

The jacket thing sounds lovely, I will look for that, thanks

I have a lovely trout starter recipe - hold on I'll hunt it out - I'm sure it would work just as well with smoked

Trout Cocktail

2 poached trout
4oz crushed pineapple
4oz cooked peeled prawns
4oz chopped celery

Dressing

2 tbsp mayo
1 dessert spoon horseradish
1 dessert spoon tom ketchup

mix all well together

dust paprika and use lemon to garnish

Ponders Wed 27-Jul-11 22:52:40

thank you, rosie smile (or should I call you fuckmepink??? grin)

grin

Either is fine

RedbinDazzler Wed 27-Jul-11 22:58:40

Warm them up, sprinkle with pepper and eat with brown bread and butter. fuckmepinkandcallmerosie - what a great name!

loads of good ideas here

And thank you RedBin grin

roguepixie Wed 27-Jul-11 23:01:21

Trout fishcakes?

Boil some potatoes and mash up. Add sauted onion, garlic, pepper, salt and add trout. Form into cakes and fry or bake. Lovely. smile

Ponders Wed 27-Jul-11 23:07:57

ooooh, lovely suggestions, thanks all smile

ChrissasMissis Wed 27-Jul-11 23:11:45

Ooh! I LOVE smoked trout! I'd make a salad with it. Flake the trout and mix with some peppery salad leaves (watercress, rocket, mizuna, mustard greens - -whatever floats your boat), some warm new potatoes and pearl beetroot (M&S do these and they are delish). Finish with a dressing made of 3 tbsp of mayonnaise mixed with 2 tsp of horseradish, the zest of 1/2 a lemon and a try generous grind of black pepper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now