Advanced search

Romantic/date night meal ideas?

(14 Posts)
SevenAgainstThebes Wed 27-Jul-11 14:06:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 27-Jul-11 14:07:42

Xiaoxiong Wed 27-Jul-11 14:20:18

Well it sounds like you've got loads of ideas - the only difference is that DH and I don't do courses - seems like too much of a faff and wayyy too much washing up when it's just the two of you...

DH and I often "cook together" (ie. I cook and he does my bidding) and make things which are nicest eaten hot right out of the pan - eg. pancakes, thai fritters, french fries, chinese dumplings.

Another good one was when he showed up on a sunny day with a hot roast chicken from the supermarket, a baguette, jar of garlic mayo and a salad - we went to the park and lazed on a blanket and ate every scrap grin

Advantage of both of the above, and other bite-sized finger food, is you can feed things to each other blushgrinblush

Xiaoxiong Wed 27-Jul-11 14:21:14

Oh and also - cardinal rule! If one eats garlic...both must eat garlic. That way neither of you notices the other's garlic breath smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 27-Jul-11 14:52:37

Our favourite 'romantic meal' could be summed up in a text. Steaks are on. Get naked. Bring beer. wink We like to keep things simple.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 27-Jul-11 14:54:20

Although the japanese-inspired evening of home-made sushi rolls, teryaki beef and tempura veggies was fun. Echoing the 'bite-size' suggestion earlier. You don't want to be stuffed to the nines if you're planning any kind of rumpy-pumpy!!!

Xiaoxiong Wed 27-Jul-11 17:22:43

Ooh Cogito, I like your style.

Also, I don't know if the word "fanjo" has ever been used on the food board, but always avoid anything which involves either of you chopping raw chillies. Unless you are into that sort of thing of course...

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 27-Jul-11 17:25:06

Just tell him that you are the desert of course...

SevenAgainstThebes Wed 27-Jul-11 19:36:17

Xiaoxiong Wed 27-Jul-11 23:34:45

Even if you do go for the dinner party for two I'd go for something you can make ahead and then share, and that doesn't involve lots of plating up and clearing away and faffing about with courses. The worst would be if you disappeared into the kitchen every 10 minutes to plate up the next course, leaving him sitting alone at the table waiting for you to come back. They only can do that in restaurants because they've got multiple people working on logistics behind the scenes!

In my experience, the way to a man's heart is either through making his comfort food in large quantities (for DH this is a mountain of curry), or sensuously feeding him bite-sized things with your fingers while naked. Playing Lady Bountiful with your generosity at the table is fun, though Cogito's warning about light suppers prior to a gambol in the bedroom is sound.

AvonChris Wed 27-Jul-11 23:59:09

Avocado prawns for starters are always good or maybe buttered asparagus wrapped in parma ham or even baked camembert/brie with cranberry sauce and side salad (you can buy them frozen but even better if you do your own - careful of the timing though) or maybe melon balls drizzled with port/liqueur. Depending on your starters, chicken breast (stuffed/plain) in parma ham is always tasty too - goes either with salad and/or baby new potatoes with roasted mediterranean vegetables - or maybe sliced duck breast with some sort of fruit jus or individual chateau briand en croute (fillet steak wrapped in pastry (short crust or flaky/puff - fresh or you can even use frozen puff pastry) followed by some sort of mousse or fruit salad (definitely keep it light) and then maybe cheese & biscuits with grapes and a glass of port?

Good luck; main thing is for you to enjoy your time together rather than spend all evening in the kitchen.

Enjoy and hope you have a really great time.

HannahHack Thu 28-Jul-11 17:24:53

We had a great valentines meal incorporating some of the things here.

We just had a baked Camembert with bread sticks and olives and other crudites.

Then we had a roast chicken with a bagette and some green salad.

Then some chocolate mousses that had taken me 20 mins to whip up that morning. Really easy as Camembert and chicken just get shoved in the oven and everything else can be done before hand or bought.

Firsttimer7259 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:46:24

Shell on prawns or scallops, fried in garlicky butter, mopped up with fresh baguette. Chilled white wine and some dark green salad. I find food you have to eat with your hands sexy.

Firsttimer7259 Tue 02-Aug-11 15:48:36

Also dessert is just so much better after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now