Talk

Advanced search

cakes that stay fresh for a week.

(18 Posts)
PandaG Tue 26-Jul-11 15:03:32

I'm going camping on Friday, and want to take enough cakes to feed 80 plus people a couple of times. Any suggestions for cake sthat will stay moist for severak days gratefully accepted. I was thinking banana loaf, lemon drizzle, tiffin, any other suggestions?

TIA smile

PandaG Tue 26-Jul-11 16:12:52

bump?

Dundee cake?

Oh, and parkin.

Nomdujour Tue 26-Jul-11 17:15:36

Tea loaf - no milk.

PandaG Tue 26-Jul-11 17:51:57

thanks both - do you have a tea loaf recipe nomdujour...I can't find mine!

PurveyorOfBaloney Tue 26-Jul-11 17:53:30

What if you froze some cakes then took them frozen in cool boxes, that way they would last longer. Sponge freezes very well.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 26-Jul-11 17:57:42

this carrot cake, although i'd either do butter icing or not ice at all

PandaG Tue 26-Jul-11 18:12:31

thanks baloney and charlotte - I will probably freeze some cakes too, but not got much space in my freezer!

PandaG Tue 26-Jul-11 18:15:12

that carrot cake looks great. I agree no icing though!

SageMist Tue 26-Jul-11 22:29:38

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1462/sticky-stem-ginger-cake-with-lemon-icing

The best ginger cake ever, gets better with age, should in theory last (doesn't in my house though. Gannets).

dalek Thu 28-Jul-11 12:05:16

golden syrup cake

This is lovely

startail Thu 28-Jul-11 12:25:37

Mil always took Parkin to the holiday cottage on Scilly. Survived being bounced about in a ruck sack on helicopters and boats. It was yummy.
Proper Yorkshire Parkin, my grand mother used to make it too.

PandaG Thu 28-Jul-11 14:18:55

thansk very much for all your ideas - have made 10 loaf cakes of various flavours, flapjack, tiffin and 9 trays of biscuits. Hope it is enough!

reastie Thu 28-Jul-11 21:32:05

fruit cake lasts yonks (I always make my christmas cake at least a month before christmas to give lots of time to add the wine grin

blimey op - how long fid all that take you?!

PrettyCandles Thu 28-Jul-11 21:37:29

We usually find that a loaf cake gives eight slices, so you may need to bake some more!

Any sponge cake made with butter (not marge or other substitute) will keep very well wrapped in paper or foil (not airtight plastic).

Are you feeding Cubs?

PrettyCandles Thu 28-Jul-11 21:39:25

Oh, I misread! I thought you had baked A tray of biscuits! You probably do have enough.

PandaG Thu 28-Jul-11 21:58:41

yes, I've not made fruit cake I have ot admit because of the length of time it takes to bake, and the cost of ingredients.

the actual baking took me about 4 hours on and off last night, plus about 3 this morning, it is the washing up in between and waiting for the cakes ot cook that takes the time.

re quantities - I've made approx 60 tiffin squares, similar amount of flapjack and approx 100 biscuits - they took ages to spoon out on the trays! I think it should be enough!

I've double wrappe dthe loaf cakes in clingfilm then foil, then they are all in a BOden delivery box, was just the right size!

No I'm not feeding cubs (though would usually send a cake or 2 to scout camp as requested!). We are going to New Wine, a kind of Christian festival, and are hel;ping with the kids' work. The cakes are for all the leaders leading one of the kids work groups - and for our family and church friends that we will be camping with.

I hope they will be ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now