Talk

Advanced search

To ask what cereal your toddlers eat

(35 Posts)
NewShooz Sun 24-Jul-11 21:24:28

Sorry, I know I probably shouldn't post this on here, but I'm after some ideas on what cereal I could try my 18 month old with. I think she's getting bored of weetabix and porridge! But I'm worried about sugar/salt content....
Any suggestions Please?

blackeyedsusan Sun 24-Jul-11 21:27:35

shredded wheat? why not add some raisins or chopped up fruit?

dd and ds eat cornflakes mostly.

pjmama Sun 24-Jul-11 21:28:44

Mine always liked Cheerios, still do. Yes they've got sugar in, but not as bad as some of the others. They were handy to take out and about in a tub as snacks too, with a few raisins mixed in.

Incidentally, on the sugar subject I have two 4 year olds who won't drink milk without a bit of Nesquik in it - I just figure the good stuff in the milk outweighs the bit of sugar added. All in balance with a generally good diet etc.

Pfriend Sun 24-Jul-11 21:29:18

I add grated apple or pear to weetabix and porridge for a bit of variety

Ivortheengine8 Sun 24-Jul-11 21:30:16

Wheetabix here or porridge (which I hate but she likes!)

MightyQuim Sun 24-Jul-11 21:30:27

We get Tesco Wheat Pillows (basically Shredded Wheat but cheaper) so no added salt or sugar. They do the bitesize ones as well.

1gglePiggle Sun 24-Jul-11 21:31:04

Cheerios, rice krispies, shreddies with some raisins added.

PurveyorOfBaloney Sun 24-Jul-11 21:31:36

Besides weetabix and porridge I give Ready Brek (like porridge I know, but makes a change) with mashed up banana and yoghurt on top (in fact yoghurt goes on top of most cereal). Occasionally give rice crispies or cheerios (no too often because of the sugar). Also marmite or honey toast. Other options on a more occasional basis (i.e. when I can be bothered) - crumpets, pancakes/drop scones, french toast with cinnamon

icooksocks Sun 24-Jul-11 21:31:47

Erm mine eat Cheerios, Honey hoops, Shreddies, chocolate hoops blush.
[bad mummy emoticon]

MrsKitty Sun 24-Jul-11 21:36:50

Weetabix
Rice Krispies
supermarket branded shreddies things
multigrain hoops 'for a treat'
and coco pops on holiday!

cherryteat Sun 24-Jul-11 21:37:53

mainly weetabix or porridge always with a generous helping of fresh or frozen fruit. DD 17 mo loves it....

imgonnaliveforever Sun 24-Jul-11 21:38:42

Weetabix and porridge are basically the best two healthwise. Mine also have shreddies, cornflakes and rice krispies. On the one hand, the salt/sugar intake is considered high, but on the other hand, if you look at the actual amount they would be consuming in a toddler-sized portion, and consider it as a proportion of their RDA it is less than a third so IMO is fine.

bushymcbush Sun 24-Jul-11 21:43:24

I'm trying to wean my 3 yr old off cereal after the "shit in a box" thread on here changed my perspective of it's supposed benefits. She does still have porridge sometimes. But mostly has toast, fruit and milk at breakfast. I'd like her to eat an egg but she won't touch them.

Witchofthenorth Sun 24-Jul-11 21:47:51

I am a bad mummy.........chocolate shreddies, she lives them blush

kingbeat23 Sun 24-Jul-11 21:47:59

toast
yoghurt with honey (if natural) and banana
grapes
apples
oranges

rarely cereal...that is left for after nursery snack at 6 pm, apparently!

Witchofthenorth Sun 24-Jul-11 21:48:14

Oops that was meant to be loves!

NewShooz Sun 24-Jul-11 21:49:02

Thanks very much for the ideas everyone smile
Very true imgonnalive if you think about how much a toddler size portion is then the sugar wouldn't work out that bad. I'm thinking that if I alternate something different with her porridge/weetablx anyway, she wouldn't be eating it everyday.
I think I'll start adding fruit too for a different flavour, as a few have suggested.
Thank You!

MightyQuim Sun 24-Jul-11 21:50:07

Weetabix has added salt and sugar so isn't the healthiest but not the worst either.

happybubblebrain Sun 24-Jul-11 21:50:24

My daughter loves pancakes and she's eaten them at least 5 mornings a week for the last 3 years. I can make them from scratch in under 4 minutes now. I try to get her to eat cereal, toast, etc but she just wants pancakes, pancakes, pancakes. Actually, she also quite likes eggy bread.

NewShooz Sun 24-Jul-11 21:50:31

bushy, I can't get mine to eat eggs either!

Icoulddoitbetter Sun 24-Jul-11 21:50:49

Ready Brek, Wheetabix, occasionally Rice Crispies, and Mini Shredded Wheats. At nursery he has Crispies and Cornflakes. I give him fresh fruit each morning too.
I worry he has cereal too much, and have started getting crumpets as a weekend treat. He likes omlettes but they are usually a lunch or tea thing.

maighdlin Sun 24-Jul-11 21:51:54

ready brek (seriously compare that with the supposedly "much better" cow and gate baby porridge at four times the price) and weetabix are usual breakfast fayre for DD. however some times for a change she had chopped up fruit "cereal" with yoghurt "milk". however DD has no interest in the cereal when the toast comes out and she turns into cookie monsters cousin, toast monster (she makes similar noises)

skybluepearl Sun 24-Jul-11 21:53:16

one of the following - oat-a-bix, granola, shredded wheat, bran flakes, rice crispies, porridge, musli, toast with marmite, runny boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, beans on toast

fruit to finish - apples, bananas, apricots etc ..

worraliberty Sun 24-Jul-11 21:53:45

Because I'm ancient (but Worra you're only 42 and look great on it I hear you all cry)...all 3 of my kids were brought up having a teaspoon of sugar on their cereals.

Personally I couldn't touch Weetabix/Cornflakes or porridge without sugar on. Bleeuurrgh grin

arabicabean Sun 24-Jul-11 21:53:49

My 3 year old has Lizi's Organic Granola to which i add pumkin and sunflower seeds, fresh fruit and a few nuts. He loves it. He won't eat any other cereal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now