Talk

Advanced search

Cake question...

(9 Posts)
LordOfTheFlies Sun 24-Jul-11 20:37:38

I do a batch of fairy cakes for my DCs every Friday.
Soft Stork margarine, all in one method (2 egg mix)
I used to use butter/buttery spread or sunflower marg but somehow the Stork is more cakey.

Question is, I'm doing a fruit cake and a sponge cake for my parents Golden Wed.Ann. (Fruit cake will be Christmas cake recipe)
Probably about 10" diameter sponge.
Would you use the traditional cream in method for a cake this size or all in one?
TIA

Malvapoeding Sun 24-Jul-11 20:47:13

I would use the method you know works well for you. Don't change anything and risk it.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 25-Jul-11 12:17:00

If you are doing a 10" diam sandwich, you shouldn't have a problem whichever method you use. If you are doing a deeper cake, you may want to use a cake cone to get heat into the middle of the cake.

NoodlesMam Mon 25-Jul-11 14:23:22

It shouldn't make any difference what method you use. I agree with Stork for sponge cake too, much better than just marg. Would only use unsalted butter in fruit cake tho. Incase you don't already know you will need 8 egg mix quantities for a nice deep 10" sponge cake smile

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 25-Jul-11 15:36:30

Noodles,

I don't know what sort of cake you are thinking of, or quite what depth! I would have thought that a 10" Rd cake would need something more like 5 or 6 eggs. A 10" Square cake would still be fairly deep at 8 eggs. I would use that for an 11" Square (Madeira).

mommmmyof2 Mon 25-Jul-11 15:42:06

4merly

What is a cake cone?

NoodlesMam Mon 25-Jul-11 16:12:52

depends on how you're decorating it I suppose. I make and decorate celebration cakes and trim the top off to get a flat surface and my cakes are usually around 2.5-3 inches in depth

NoodlesMam Mon 25-Jul-11 16:14:10

but yes, it depends on whether it's square/round etc. Definately 8 eggs for square but you could get away with less for round

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 26-Jul-11 09:54:11

A cake cone is a wide-mouthed cup or dariole, made out of aluminium usually. You place it in the middle of the pan, spoon your mix all around it and put some in the cone (to the same height). The cone will conduct heat into the middle of the cake ensuring a shorter cooking time and a more even bake.

When the cake is baked and has cooled down, remove the cone. Fill the hole that is left there with the cake that was baked IN the cone. The conical shape means that gravity will hold it as a seal into the cake. Trim off level and ice. Bob's your uncle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now