Talk

Advanced search

Take One Oven-ready Chicken....

(10 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 23-Jul-11 11:37:27

... what happens next? In our house it goes something like

Day 1 - Roasted and the breast meat served
Day 2 - Leg/wing meat and trimmings cut off and used in a pie with some ham and mushrooms
Day 3 - Carcass roasted with veggies and made into stock which gets frozen and used later for soups or gravy.

Any other ideas for spinning a chicken out to more meals?

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Sat 23-Jul-11 11:49:04

Day 1 is teh same, day 2 varies widely from added to pasta, rice, stif fry, curry, roast chicken soup, fajihats, enchiladas, quisidillas, toasties etc

Day 3 - tried once, my stock turned out horrible, not sure what I am doing there!

Gemjar Sat 23-Jul-11 11:51:19

Depends how many you are serving.

I tend to do either about the same as you, or joint the chicken raw and then use the breasts for something like a curry, the thighs, drumsticks and wings tend to get roasted with potatoes for chicken and chips and then the carcass used for stock. If there are any trimmings left then they get chopped up to put in the soup that the stock makes, or a risotto.

If the chicken is a really big one, you can get away with using the 2 breasts separately, one can go into a curry or stir fry with lots of veggies and the other one (as long as the chicken is big enough) can be sliced into about 3 or 4 pieces then battered out and coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs.

cjbartlett Sat 23-Jul-11 13:46:19

Day 1 - roast dinner
Day 2 - curry

Jcee Sat 23-Jul-11 14:10:48

Day 1 - Roasted and legs served as Roast dinner or with caesar salad
Day 2 - ALWAYS has to be chicken sandwiches in packed lunch
Day 3 - Varies - curry, stir fry, risotto, pie filling, alfredo pasta, caesar salad if we had roast on day 1.

If I can be bothered I make stock, but I seem to have a backlog in the freezer at the moment. Need to find my soup mojo....

thestringcheeseincident Sat 23-Jul-11 14:13:27

Day 1 - roast, eat as much as we can.
Day 2 - childrens dinner (usually with left over veg etc), some soft of leftover with rice, or quesadilla

the end

storminabuttercup Mon 25-Jul-11 20:31:54

I bought one yesterday, stripped the wings and all the underside and put it in gravy, bit of breast each too (2 adults and 1 baby)
Day 2 - was going to be pie with thigh meat and a bit more breast, but ended up being a hot pot type thing.
Day 3 - handful of breast meat left to pop on a pizza with peppers and chorizo!

First time I've managed 3 meals though!

bamboostalks Mon 25-Jul-11 20:35:35

Day 1: Roast
End of.

Xiaoxiong Tue 26-Jul-11 15:09:40

Day 1 - roast, strip meat off carcass
Day 2 or 3 - finish the remainder of the meat in bang bang chicken, make stock
Day 4+ - wonton noodle soup using the chicken stock as a base and frozen wontons

iklboo Tue 26-Jul-11 18:41:39

Day 1: roast or chicken & baked potatoes
Day 2: sandwiches or salad. Leave some meat on carcass
Day 2: in the morning, shove carcass in slow cooker. Chop celery, spring onions, peppers & a chilli. Add either a tin of tomatoes & some chorizo OR chicken stock & some noodles. Cook for a few hours & serve for tea. Usually enough for
Day 3: take leftovers for lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now