Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BBQ Skewers - what do you put on yours?

(10 Posts)
Cattleprod Fri 22-Jul-11 08:22:46

Weather permitting, we're hoping to have a family barbecue this weekend. Other folks have the sausages, burgers, steak etc covered, so I thought I'd make up some skewer kebab thingys. Does anybody have any tips for yummy stuff to put on them? I thought it might be easiest to stick to vegetables etc., as then it won't matter if they are undercooked (not that I don't have faith in my family's BBQ skills but I suspect 15 yr old DN might be involved!) and there's plenty of meat already. So far on my shopping list...

Peppers - orange and yellow
Mini tomatoes
Mushrooms
Onions - would shallots be better?

...but now I'm stuck! What else can I put on the skewers? Are there any things apart from veg I can put on? And should I marinade/brush them with anything before cooking?

smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 22-Jul-11 08:54:27

My favourites would be

Lamb, Red Pepper and Red Onion. Use leg steak lamb, cut the onion in to quarters and separate out the layers (then they cook quicker and you don't get that harsh taste of raw onion), cut the red pepper into biggish chunks. Marinade it all in some balsamic and oil with some chopped rosemary, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Cook turning frequently

Chicken, Mushroom, Courgette and White Onion. Thigh meat is good because it doesn't dry out very fast. Mushrooms need to be chestnut or they just wilt over the flames and drop off the skewers. Marinade in soy sauce, a little honey, grainy mustard, olive oil, seasoning.

The only time I use cherry toms on skewers is with raw (grey) tiger prawns. Prawns only take a few minutes to cook so the toms are OK. But if they are with anything that takes longer they tend to go mushy and disappear into the coals.

TinFairy Fri 22-Jul-11 09:19:55

Haloumi cheese with peppers, onions, tomatoes etc is my favourite BBQ food. Closely followed by BBQ'd asparagus (not skewered, obviously)

happystory Fri 22-Jul-11 09:30:58

(no food expert here but...) Did you know you should soak skewers in water for a while first then they won't burn on BBQ?

Cattleprod Fri 22-Jul-11 09:40:03

Thanks for the suggestions - courgettes sound good, and the soy/honey/mustard marinade. I remember haloumi cheese as being really salty and rubbery, but I've only had it once and maybe it was badly cooked.

I'd forgotten about soaking the skewers. Thanks happy, you've saved me from flaming kebabs!!

Taffeta Fri 22-Jul-11 16:49:15

yy to Halloumi

I also love love marinated chicken kebabs. I have a fab recipe for a chicken souvlaki one, its a big fave with the DC too.You marinade the chicken breast chunks in yoghurt and spices overnight and then thread on a skewer (we have metal ones, they cook meat much more evenly and faster ), serve with flatbread, wraps or pitta and lots of fresh coriander mmmmmm

Taffeta Fri 22-Jul-11 16:50:15

Also if you want to push the boat out, whole bbq'd fish is amaaazing.....

weepootle Fri 22-Jul-11 16:56:09

I always marinade chicken in honey/soy then I alternate chicken, red onion, peppers, mushroom & pineapple. The pineapple is the best bit!

I haven't had haloumi for ages though so will be giving that a go- I love it.

Taffeta Fri 22-Jul-11 17:53:54

mmmmm bbq'd pineapple, had forgotten about that. Its divine grin

thestringcheeseincident Fri 22-Jul-11 17:55:05

We usually do tandoori chicken ones with courgette and onion.
Marinate them in some paste and yoghurt first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now