Talk

Advanced search

Castle cakes - anyone made one?

(9 Posts)
Zeeky Wed 20-Jul-11 16:37:32

DS is having a knights party for his 4th birthday & wants a castle shaped cake. Last year I made a treasure chest shaped cake which was a masterpiece (I really impressed myself & everyone else as don't usually do fancy cake decorating) so everyone is expecting great things!

Anyone got any tips or photos of ones they have made? Never used fondant type icing before so was thinking of maybe grey butter icing?

Popbiscuit Wed 20-Jul-11 16:42:28

I made one a few years ago (Princess castle for DD) It was quite good apart from one crooked turret, so take care there!
Also, if you are using buttercream and the party is a few hours away make sure that you have a big space cleared in your fridge (rearrange shelves).
Good luck!

Zeeky Wed 20-Jul-11 16:50:23

Do you have any photos of it Popbiscuit?

thestringcheeseincident Wed 20-Jul-11 16:51:43

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqOP4iygW2k

I looked at this earlier today, watch till the end for boys version.

Popbiscuit Wed 20-Jul-11 17:03:27

I know I took pictures but I have no idea where they are; I'm so sorry! It was about 4 years ago when I had just had baby #3 and was in a post-natal fog so no idea where they ended up. <bad mother emoticon> Actually, now I read that back it sounds completely mental. What was I doing making castle cakes with a 5 year old, 2 year old and newborn?

bigTillyMint Wed 20-Jul-11 18:24:43

I made a princess castle years ago. I think it was a square shape cake with swiss rolls for towers and icecream cones for turrets. We usually have pictures of cakes, so I'll see if it was since I got my digital camera (6 years ago, so may have been before that!)

MummyTeacher Wed 20-Jul-11 18:27:31

I made one like bigTilly. Big square cake, turrets and towers, all covered in grey buttercream. I used chocolate fingers as a door/drawbridge and dew-drop castellations. Will try to upload photos later!

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 21-Jul-11 00:13:56

And I also made one (a pink one) like bigTilly and MummyTeacher, with a square cake - well 2, mine had an 'upstairs', swiss rolls for the towers and ice cream cones coated in white choc for the turrets. I made little pennants with went in the turrets, and bigger flags for the castle.

I covered it in buttercream, and etched in brick detail with a cocktail stick. This bit actually did not take too long at all, and the effort to effect ratio was very positive! I too used various sweets for the detail - drawbridge, windows etc.

whimsicalname Thu 21-Jul-11 11:59:25

i saw one with ice cream cones upside down for tops of turrets. It was a really good effect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now