Talk

Advanced search

We are out of nearly everything. What larder items should I buy?

(5 Posts)
yellowflowers Tue 19-Jul-11 19:10:02

Putting this on food and on good housekeeping threads.

We are out of nearly everything so I am going to do a big supermarket shop online later. What should I buy to keep in, from butter to freeze to bin bags, from many tins of chopped tomatoes to loo roll, from salt to herbs.

I need to be able to make cheap, nice quick and easy meals so things good for the stock cupboard and the freezer helpful.

Thank you! I am a bit flummoxed by what to get as we need so much.

stressedHEmum Tue 19-Jul-11 19:53:03

pasta, rice, bulghur/couscous
stock cubes (veg, chicken, beef)
yeast extract
tinned fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel)
tinned toms
tom puree
passata
butter
cheese (freeze grated)
parmesan
cream cheese
eggs
long life cream
sour cream/creme fraiche
frozen veg (spinach, peas, peppers, leeks, mixed veg, green beans)
flour
yeast
sugar
baking powder
baking soda
tea
coffee
squash
dried beans/lentils
potatoes
onions
carrots
sweet potatoes
other fresh veg as desired
jam
peanut butter
cocoa
honey/syrup
long life fruit juice
tinned beans
tinned veg (peas, corn, chick peas, kidney beans)
sundried tomatoes
roasted red peppers
curry paste
tinned pineapples
vinegar
salt and pepper
oil
ketchup/sauce
coconut milk
spices
chopped garlic
chopped ginger
herbs
mayo
oats
breakfast cereal
nuts
dried fruit
lemon juice
lime juice
mince
chicken
bacon
sausages
chorizo
smoked salmon trimmings
white fish
smoked mackerel
pastry sheets
toilet roll
soap powder
cleaning fluid stuff
washing up liquid
kitchen roll
toothpaste
mouthwash
toothbrushes
floss
shaving foam
deodorant
shampoo
conditioner
bubble bath
soap
bin bags
tin foil
cling film
baking parchment
freezer bags

FoodFascist Tue 19-Jul-11 20:29:03

It's a tough question, we don't really know what your family do and don't eat, do you cook from scratch or live on microwaveables, or a bit of both, etc.

If I were you I'd start with a meal planner,
sit down with a piece of paper and scribble down what you'll have every day of the coming week. It may take time but will save you money as you won't be buying in the spur of the moment and then having to chuck away.

If you cook from scratch a lot, pasta dishes are one great way to save. With 1-2 fish fillets, 1 chicken breast or 200g meat you can make a pasta sauce that'll comfortably serve four or more. Healthier and cheaper than getting a chicken breast or chunk of meat per head. You only need to add some veg, or 1/2 - 1 jar of pasta sauce.

The same goes for mixed veg/rice dishes, by adding a little meat/chicken/fish to that you're making your expensive animal protein go very far.

I find that shopping online is already a great way to save, you fill up your basket, check the total and if it's over your budget, just go through the basket again and delete things you don't really need, or those that can wait till next week, etc.

Hope this helps a bit

FoodFascist Tue 19-Jul-11 20:30:37

Oh by the way, if you do go overboard a bit and buy too many things with a short shelf life, keep checking your fridge and if you see something that's not going to be eaten in the next couple of days, stick that in the freezer.

yellowflowers Tue 19-Jul-11 22:57:40

Thank you that is brilliant. Great ideas.

We are two adults and one baby and cool mostly from scratch excluding things like bread and we have no microwave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now