Talk

Advanced search

quick question about best way to ice this cake!

(5 Posts)
muslimah28 Tue 19-Jul-11 13:46:09

hi

i'm making the hummingbird lemon and poppy seed cake this afternoon, its made in a ring mould and has icing drizzled on top.

i have a cake tray with a lid and i'm going to put it in that to take to a party tomorrow of mostly adults but also some children.

should i ice the cake on the tray i'm taking it in- so you can see the icing that's drizzled off? or will that look messy and is it better to ice on a plate and then transfer to my tray?

many thanks!

TapselteerieO Tue 19-Jul-11 13:50:33

I always ice on the plate I will be serving the cake on, but I don't think it looks bad if icing has run, I think I would have trouble moving an iced cake too - I would probably have an accident and drop it or let it slide.

muslimah28 Tue 19-Jul-11 14:20:43

Good point about moving it, will do it on the tray then. Many thanks!!

Scootergrrrl Tue 19-Jul-11 14:23:09

If you're worried about it looking messy, slip bits of kitchen roll under the edges so the icing drips onto that, then just pull them away before you serve it.

muslimah28 Wed 20-Jul-11 19:16:15

I did it on the tray I served it on and it looked great with the drizzles falling off! Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now