Talk

Advanced search

Can I cook and freeze mushrooms?

(6 Posts)
lubeybooby Tue 19-Jul-11 11:43:13

I have a massive glut of them thanks to a mistake on an online order... was wondering if they can be cooked and frozen and if so whats the best way to cook and what to store them in? EG would frying be best and put into freezer bags or tubs? Or will it just not work at all?

Thanks

lubeybooby Tue 19-Jul-11 11:48:19

Any pointers?

juneybean Tue 19-Jul-11 11:52:14

I have, I've sautéed them in butter with salt and pepper then bagged them up to put in meals later on.

I've defrosted them quickly by putting the bag in a bowl of warm water.

lubeybooby Tue 19-Jul-11 11:52:52

Ahhh thank you, excellent. Will get to it then grin

TheOriginalFAB Tue 19-Jul-11 11:55:40

All mushrooms can be frozen. Chose very fresh ones and avoid those that are discoloured or shrivelling.

Wipe with a damp cloth but do not wash. Trim. Toss in 1tbsp of lemon juice for every 1 lb mushrooms. You can slice or leave them whole.

Freezing raw - pack in polythene bags, remove air and seal. storage time - 1 month.

Freezing sauted - fry in a little butter or olive oil for 2 minutes. Cool quickly. pack in polythene bags or rigid containers. Remove air, seal, label and freeze. storage time - 3 months.

lubeybooby Tue 19-Jul-11 12:00:28

Thanks Fab

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: