Talk

Advanced search

Butternut squash- do you peel it?

(14 Posts)
ameliagrey Mon 18-Jul-11 17:36:19

I am a butternut squash freak- love it.

I peel it for risotto and when i roast it in chunks. But recently I had some in a restaurant and it wasn't peeled- and all my friends said they didn't peel it either.

do you?

blabalalalablabla Mon 18-Jul-11 17:37:19

Peel when in risotto or stew but skin on when roasted.

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 18-Jul-11 19:38:29

Nope. I used to but I watched a Jamie Oliver recipe a while ago and he said not to. His exact words were "if you waste time peeling butternut squash, then you're a muppet!"

Turns out he was right.

ameliagrey Mon 18-Jul-11 19:42:48

Just call me Kermit then. Or Miss Piggy.

mumanator Mon 18-Jul-11 20:21:11

Don't!
Split in two - scoop out seeds - bake in oven!

mumanator Mon 18-Jul-11 20:21:50

Better still buy fresh or frozen chunks from Waitrose!

NettoSuperstar Mon 18-Jul-11 20:25:29

I do peel it, but after roasting in the oven, as it's a pain to peel beforehand.

I basically stick it in whole, and then peel once it's soft enough, and then carry on with the recipe.

AuntieMonica Mon 18-Jul-11 20:26:35

i cut mine up into chunks, then roast, then peel when it's cool

a bit like Netto but more chopping

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 18-Jul-11 20:27:16

Leave the peel on and then let the diners decide whether to eat the skin or not ...

Just yummy

Pinner35 Mon 18-Jul-11 20:28:51

The skin is vile, even when roasted so I always peel them.

TastyMuffins Mon 18-Jul-11 20:28:56

Sometimes I'm a muppet! I was just think before I read that about how I don't peel it if I'm in a hurry, I don't much care for it but DS will eat it without fuss.

confuseddotcodotuk Mon 18-Jul-11 20:29:01

I just cut the skin off before doing anything else with it, didn't even realise it could be peeled. I hate chopping the blooming things though! (But love squashes!)

NettoSuperstar Mon 18-Jul-11 20:40:22

Could I recommend this recipe. It's absolutely delicious.
I subbed the wine for chicken stock, as I rarely cook with alcohol, but veggie stock would work if you don't want meat.
I've also tried it with some blue cheese (St Agur) scattered over the top.

It's my favourite ever butternut squash recipe.

ameliagrey Wed 20-Jul-11 21:02:42

I have tried the frozen stuff from waitrose and thought it was yuck. It went all sloppy and weird.

I find it quite easy to peel- I slice the squash into rounds - like a swiss roll- then peel each round with a sharp knife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now