Talk

Advanced search

how to use wax discs please help

(12 Posts)
muslimah28 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:46:20

hello

can someone please explain to me how to use wax discs when making jam? ive been putting them on top of the lid but ive read some stuff lately that suggests i'm supposed to be putting them on top of the jam itself. if i do that, what happens when i open the jam, is there not the plastic remainder of the disc on teh top?

many thanks!

suzikettles Sun 17-Jul-11 18:59:37

You put them on top of the jam. I've never noticed any residue after the jam's opened.

They're to go on top of the jam.

jenniec79 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:03:12

It's just waxed paper - sits directly on top of the jam to stop air getting in contact with it, so means it lasts longer (ie ages in a sterilised jar with a real lid (rather than just a fabric one with an elastic band) on it) No residue, just pull off the paper when you open the jar.

Really no point putting on top (outside??) of the jar - I can't get to grips with what you've been doing?

muslimah28 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:15:36

I've been putting them wax side facing the jam but inside the lid. So sounds like I've not been doing it right... if I put it on the jam once the wax has melted and done it's job is there not the bit of paper left? I gave a jar to a friend and they said there was a bit of paper on the top of the jam...

The paper will be there, simply needs to be lifted off, use jam, put back on. It helps to prevent mould.

suzikettles Sun 17-Jul-11 20:01:11

The wax doesn't melt confused. At least I don't think it does. It's there to make the paper waterproof, like greaseproof paper.

muslimah28 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:33:21

Thanks. How important is it to keep the paper on once opened? As It sounds a bit of a faff to keep lifting up and putting back! And I guess some people don't use them at all so it can't be that crucial or am I missing something?

Thanks, I'm new to the world of jam making and am just figuring it all out at the moment... smile

suzikettles Sun 17-Jul-11 22:34:47

I always throw it out otherwise it gets all sticky. Once you've opened the jam and stuck a knife in it then it's going to have a limited shelf life anyway.

suzikettles Sun 17-Jul-11 22:36:33

Btw, my mum stopped using waxed discs about 10 years ago and is yet to have a jar of jam or marmalade go mouldy on her - she makes enough for a year at a time and it always tastes delicious.

muslimah28 Sun 17-Jul-11 22:43:56

I've been reading today a few people on the Internet saying the same thing suzikettles about it being fine without the discs if you sterilise and seal properly. I just bought a pack of 200 today though! So I may as well use them but will probably chuck the paper once opened. the main purpose is while sealed anyway as I understand it. Many thanks smile

startail Sun 17-Jul-11 23:25:29

Never bother with wax paper disks, or faffing about drying jars. Simply dishwash jars and put them in the sink, fill with boiling water, drain and fill with jam when just cool enough to handle. Screw on the top while still hot so jam contracts and lid is pulled on tightly. I have jam that is 3+ years old which is lovely never had any go mouldy. Cold packed mince meat is done just the same, but because it doesn't form the vacuum seal you pour a splash of brandy on top (a nice tasting sterile version of the wax disc smile).
I confess I've skipped the boiling water when in a hurry, but it really is safer to have any dodgy jars break on contact with boiling water in the sink rather than pour hot jam over the table and your toes.
Haven't had a jar break yet modern jars must be very good glass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now