Talk

Advanced search

Chilli jam/jelly...would adding lemon work...?!

(7 Posts)
misspollysdolly Sun 17-Jul-11 15:41:01

I am a bit of a chutney/pickle maker. Just thinking of embarking on a chilli jam or jelly (Nigella has a good recipe that I may well use) - but was just wondering whether a chilli and lemon jelly would work...? Any recipe ideas/suggestions, advice, thoughts etc would be appreciated...! MPD

muslimah28 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:44:37

i don't know of a recipe but i like the sound of it!

piebald Tue 19-Jul-11 09:15:21

Lime might be better

misspollysdolly Fri 22-Jul-11 14:46:14

I'm going for a small amount of lime...! Will report back on results in due course!

piebald Sat 23-Jul-11 16:17:23

I would put the zest of the lime in too

colditz Sat 23-Jul-11 16:28:35

USE DAMSONS. They make anawesome chillichutney. And send me some wink

IndridCold Sat 30-Jul-11 15:03:04

I was given this recipe by a Barbadian relative, so the measurements are American and I have translated them a bit:

2 cups (3 large) red peppers finely chopped
2 cups (3 large) green peppers finely chopped
1/4 cup (4-5 large) chilli peppers finely chopped
1 1/4 (12 1/2 fl oz) cups cider vinegar
Liquid or powdered pectin

Put the peppers, vinegar and sugar in a large pan over a high heat and bring to a full rolling boil.
Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
Return to high heat and cook at full rolling boil for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the pectin (use a whole bottle of the liquid or 2 sachets of the powdered stuff). Stir constantly for 2 minutes, and check for set. If setting point hasn't been reached, return to boil for a further 5 mins.

You do sometimes have to boil it for quite a long time to get it to set, but it's worth it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: