Talk

Advanced search

Super duper veg lasagne recipe please!

(15 Posts)
franch Sat 16-Jul-11 17:35:12

Thanks!

partystress Sat 16-Jul-11 17:39:50

I use quorn mince, add flavour with marmite, but basically same as you would make a bolognese with mince. Add chopped carrots, peppers for colour. Basic white sauce (cheesy if you prefer) and just layer up. Absolutely scrummy, especially the burned bits you can scrape off the sides when no one is looking wink

thestringcheeseincident Sat 16-Jul-11 17:41:15

delia here

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/italian/pasta/roasted-mediterranean-vegetable-lasagne.html

really yummy

StealthPolarBear Sat 16-Jul-11 17:42:32

my mum makes a lovely one with mushrooms, carrots, mange tout, erm...
Don't think that helps, sorry

I roast red onions and carrots. meanwhile I fry a a couple of shallots and some garlic then add a big splodge of port, some passata, some rosemary and some puy lentils and cook until the lentils are done. I chuck some red peppers on the roasting tin when the onions and carrots are almost done. I stir the roasted vege into the lentil mix and use that as the 'meaty' layer. It's lovely but more for Autumn or winter than for now.

BerryLellow Sat 16-Jul-11 17:52:45

Make mine similar to above but also do layer of courgette ribbons, and some slightly pre roasted sweet potato sticks

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 16-Jul-11 18:02:14

I can confirm that the Delia recipe is lovely!

This is how I make mine:

Bolognese sauce

Dice and fry two onions
Finely chop 4-6 cloves of garlic
Fry these together in olive oil till softened (don't brown them), with salt, black pepper and dried oregano.
Then add 500g steak mince (beef) and brown. When all the pink has gone, add a crumbled Oxo cube
Slice a small punnet of mushrooms and add these to the mince, cook briefly and then add two tins of chopped tomatoes and a glass of red wine.

Cook this for about 20-30 minutes with a lid on. The idea is to have it fairly liquid-y, as the pasta will absorb this.

Cheese sauce

Melt butter (sorry - don't know quantities as I do it by eye, but I guess about 2 oz/50g) in a medium-sized sauce pan and add the same weight of plain flour. Stir it together and cook for a minute or two, then gradually add milk, stirring the lumps out as you go, until you get a thinn-ish sauce. Add about 4 oz/100g mature cheddar (as much as you like actually!), and season with black pepper and the juice of half a lemon. You want the sauce to be the consistency of thin custard - again, because the lasagne sheets will be absorbing the liquid.

Assembly

Ladle a spoonful of bolognese sauce into your lasagne dish, and a small amount of the cheese sauce, then lay the dried lasagne sheets over the top. I use green lasagne as I think it looks and tastes nicer.

Continue layering this way, but after the last layer of pasta just pour cheese sauce on top.

Cover the top with more grated cheese (I sometimes use a mixture of cheddar and Parmesan) and then bake in a medium oven for around 40 minutes.

The secret of a really good lasagne, I have found, is to cook it the day before you need it - it's much tastier the next day.

franch Sat 16-Jul-11 21:55:39

Wow thanks all!

MyLifeIsChaotic Sun 17-Jul-11 20:54:58

Message withdrawn

smee Wed 20-Jul-11 16:29:08

MyLife, I'm interested! Can you post both if you've got the time? smile

MyLifeIsChaotic Wed 20-Jul-11 20:33:22

Message withdrawn

MyLifeIsChaotic Wed 20-Jul-11 20:50:41

Message withdrawn

Xiaoxiong Thu 21-Jul-11 12:04:07

I make the butternut squash lasagna too but with sage and hazelnuts or walnuts, depending on what I've got on hand. It takes a while so not necessarily every weeknight but it's a good recipe for the freezer or for a special weekend or party because you can make the filling and sauce a day or two ahead of time and then just assemble and bake the day of.

Preheat oven to 220c/gas 7.

Chop an onion and fry till pale gold (10 min). While it's cooking, peel and seed a butternut squash and cube into 1cm pieces - this recipe works best with a biggish squash that weighs at least 1kg. Add squash, 2 cloves crushed garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is just tender (15 min).

While squash is cooking, make a white sauce: fry 2 cloves crushed garlic in a large slice of butter (prob about 50g) in a saucepan over low heat, then whisk in 75g plain flour and cook until it smells nutty (about 3 min). Add 800ml milk in a stream (you can add more milk if you think it's too thick). Add a bay leaf, bring to a boil, whisking constantly, then reduce heat and simmer 10 min until thick. Add salt and pepper and set aside to cool.

When the squash is tender, stir in a big handful flat leaf parsley (use scissors to snip over the squash), a palmful of ripped fresh sage leaves, and a big handful of chopped and toasted nuts - we often use a mix of whatever bits we've got in the cupboard - pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts, pine nuts etc. Set aside to cool.

(At this point you can put the filling and sauce separately in the fridge if you want to make this a day or two ahead - just bring back to room temp before assembling).

Mix together 100g grated parmesan and 225 grated mozzarella together. Spread a thin even layer of white sauce in a buttered lasagna dish and cover with pasta sheets, leaving spaces between sheets. Spread with more sauce, one third of squash filling, then two handfuls cheese. Repeat layering 2 more times, (pasta sheets, sauce, squash, cheese). You should be out of squash by now so top with remaining pasta, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.

(At this point you can freeze it all assembled, then just defrost before baking.)

Tightly cover with foil (butter foil if you can be bothered - I never do) and bake in middle of oven 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake until golden and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes more.

You need to let it stand for at least 10 min after it comes out of the oven to let the sauce thicken up a bit - otherwise it goes everywhere when you try and serve and it's so molten it will burn your mouth...

smee Thu 21-Jul-11 17:39:06

Oooh, am salivating reading. Will definitely try both. Thank you!

wahwahwah Fri 22-Jul-11 12:28:08

Lots of nice recipes here!

I just make is as if it was a meaty one - fry onion and garlic, add chopped celery, carrots, mushrooms, courgettes and porcini, then a tin of tomatoes and loads of herbs. Usual white sauce and it is delish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now