Talk

Advanced search

The ULTIMATE lunch ideas thread

(17 Posts)
BumperlicicusTotalus Sat 16-Jul-11 08:40:50

I know we have loads of these threads but thought I'd start the thread of all threads. I need lunch ideas to suit the following (not all, just categories that I need filling):
Not sandwiches
To suit 10 mo
To suit fussy 4 year old
Kid's packed lunch
Grown up packed lunch
Budget
Low carb

Post all your ideas here and this can be the ultimate thread.

BumperlicicusTotalus Sat 16-Jul-11 08:41:53

Oh god I'm going to have to get MNHQ to change that thread title if this is to become the ultimate thread aren't I?

Chandon Sat 16-Jul-11 08:51:52

sorry but too many requirements for me!

i do sandwiches, fruit, biscuit and a drink

When i am "adventurous" I replace sandwich bread for pita!

Will be back to lurk

BumperlicicusTotalus Sat 16-Jul-11 09:09:35

I don't mean one thing has to suit all these needs, just those are different categories I need to fulfill.

CountBapula Sat 16-Jul-11 09:17:22

For 10 mo DS at the moment I alternate between tiny sandwiches (cream cheese and grated carrot is a winner) and omelette strips (I add a dash of milk to the egg to make it nice and fluffy, and add tiny strips of ham or courgette cubes or a bit of grated cheese).

Not sandwiches: I do a big batch of roasted mediterranean veg or ratatouille (peppers, courgettes and tomatoes, with herbs and garlic), have it with fish or chicken for dinner, then use leftovers for lunch - stir it into couscous and sprinkle on cubes of feta cheese or chorizo slices.

Collision Sat 16-Jul-11 09:24:00

Couscous with veg cooked in veg stock.

Prawn cocktail salad.

Square wraps are amazing (in Tesco). Use to wrap or top as a pizza.

aStarInStrangeways Sat 16-Jul-11 09:29:39

DS and I had a great use-it-all-up lunch yesterday: falafel, hummus, salad (lettuce/baby spinach/tomato) topped with cubes of feta cheese mixed with red onion, oregano and Greek yoghurt. And half a sausage each. I should say he only ate the sausage, falafel and some veg (he's nearly 3) but it was very satisfying and delicious from my POV. And I assume low-ish carb?

baabaapinksheep Sat 16-Jul-11 09:30:36

My youngest DD doesn't really like sandwiches, so I often give her things like mini scoth eggs, breadsticks, cocktail sausages, leftover roast chicken, mini rice cakes, organix crisps, and various chopped veg like cucumber, pepper, tomatoes, olives etc.

baabaapinksheep Sat 16-Jul-11 09:33:11

Oh, and Babybel (handy for packed lunches) or chunks of cheese.

BumperlicicusTotalus Sat 16-Jul-11 14:24:26

Great ideas so far.

Thanks MNHQ for the typo change smile

BumperlicicusTotalus Sat 16-Jul-11 14:25:57

Has anyone ever made their own scotch eggs? Are they easy?

thereistheball Sat 16-Jul-11 14:50:15

Frittatas - good for using up veg. I like courgette and feta, or goats cheese and red pepper (roast the veg first)
Humous, falafel, crudités, breadsticks, cubes of feta, cherry tomatoes. Could stuff into pita with chili sauce if you wanted.
Sliced chorizo / smoked salmon / ham filled with cream cheese (and avocado)
Smoked mackerel pate (smoked mackerel quizzed with cream cheee, lemon and black pepper) - eat with cucumber sticks, or in a wrap with watercress.
Antipasti salad - cured ham, avocado, mozzarella, sundried tomatoes, artichokes, roast veg, Parmesan shavings, olives etc
Slices of home-made pizza for the packed lunches.
Soup? With cheese sandwiches.
Egg Mayo to use as a dip.

Jdore Sat 16-Jul-11 15:38:50

I'm with Chandongrin if my lot want anything other than a sandwich/cheese on toast or beans then save up and go to a restaurant!

BumperlicicusTotalus Sat 16-Jul-11 17:00:15

It's just a lot of bread. The baby likes toast for breakfast so I'm loath to give her bread again for lunch. She doesn't eat omelettes really. Also I am going back to work on Monday and I'd like non sandwich lunch ideas for me.

Jdore Sat 16-Jul-11 18:06:11

How about vegetable couscous, pasta with mushrooms, peppers , courgettes or whatevers in your fridge, tuna mayo wrapped in cos lettuce (very nice and suprisingly filling) oatcakes + hummous, ryvita + philli with sliced tomatoes,sushi, ploughmans lunch....ummmmmmm.... can't think of anymore

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 16-Jul-11 18:10:13

Slices of smoked salmon or ham spread with Philadelphia and rolled up. I sometimes also add chopped gherkins or capers.

Takver Sun 17-Jul-11 11:29:19

Do you have a microwave at work? If so, what about left over dinner in a box to reheat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now