loader

Talk

Advanced search

Draining pasta/broccoli?!

(14 Posts)
SevenAgainstThebes Fri 15-Jul-11 13:33:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 15-Jul-11 14:18:35

My technique is to drain whatever it is through a seive, then balance the seive on the rim of the hot pan for a few minutes whilst finishing off/serving everything else.... always some residual water ends up in the bottom of the pan. Some pasta shapes, of course,will hold water more than others. The 'conchigle' type, for example.

SevenAgainstThebes Fri 15-Jul-11 14:27:59

badmummy101 Fri 15-Jul-11 15:54:04

i put it back in the pan on the heat for a min once i have drained, then the water evaporates.

ginmakesitallok Fri 15-Jul-11 16:03:10

I've got saucepans that have lids with holes in the side that you can drain through - I love them and would thoroughly recommend them - think they are judge ones - hang on

ginmakesitallok Fri 15-Jul-11 16:03:59

[http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Judge_Vista_Cookware.html?gclid=CMmP86DPg6oCFcRO4QodNHeSxw these ones]]

ginmakesitallok Fri 15-Jul-11 16:04:47

bums - these ones

NerfHerder Fri 15-Jul-11 16:09:49

We have a pasta strainer- a semi-circle shaped 'spatula' that you can hold over the lip of any pan to drain liquid away- was about 1.50 from Habitat.

walesblackbird Fri 15-Jul-11 16:14:27

With pasta shells I usually tip it back and forth a couple of times to get rid of any extra water!

pengymum Fri 15-Jul-11 16:19:06

I drain into colander then put colander on pan to finish draining while I am getting everything else sorted. I always steam broccoli now as I find it too 'wet' when boiled. Also you can steam veg over the boiling pasta! grin

pointissima Fri 15-Jul-11 16:26:16

Pasta is not meant to be too thoroughly drained: drain quickly then return to the pan and toss with butter and your sauce. Same technique (minus sauce)works for broccoli

GrimmaTheNome Fri 15-Jul-11 16:29:08

I steam broccoli too. Pasta shapes usually need a bit of a shake to get rid of water pooling in them.

sometimes I use a slotted spoon type thing (well, its holes not slots) to serve with to get an extra bit of draining.

headfairy Fri 15-Jul-11 16:30:27

leave it to steam dry in the colander for two mins before serving.

SevenAgainstThebes Fri 15-Jul-11 17:19:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now