Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to make with fish?

(12 Posts)
ihatecbeebies Thu 14-Jul-11 22:07:50

I posted in the 'recipes' section but am too impatient haven't had a reply, Has anyone any hints/ideas for me? Apart from potato (or anything made from potato eg chips!) what would be a nice accompaniment to fish? I am trying to eat a lot more fish and have been making it a lot for DS too but I'm getting sick of eating potato with it but it's the only thing I can think of blush

NatzCNL Thu 14-Jul-11 22:18:44

Seasoned rice with steamed veg is lovely with haddock or Salmon.

NatzCNL Thu 14-Jul-11 22:19:33

Or could do stir fried vegetables and salad?

ihatecbeebies Thu 14-Jul-11 22:45:08

I'm not the biggest rice fan but DS loves it so I could give it a try, I like the stir fry idea as well thanks.

FannyPriceless Fri 15-Jul-11 10:35:20

A nice green salad and a salsa. I like a salsa made with red onion and either cantaloupe or mango to go with fish. You can add a bit of chilli too if you want.

Or try making a potato salad with sweet potato and red onion, plus a green salad.

I like to serve salmon fillets on some simple cooked fettucine dressed with olive oil, pepper and lemon juice, with either mange tout or sugar snap peas on the side.

With white fish I love to make a lime wasabi mayonnnaise - really simple: just mix a bit of mayonnaise with a squeze of lime juice and some wasabi paste (you can buy little tubes in most supermarkets). That's great on the fish with salad and oven chips.

Barbeasty Fri 15-Jul-11 13:07:49

Sea food works well with pasta, and nice bread can be good too. We like scallops fried with chorizo, with either focaccia or garlic bread and salad. Mussels go well with bread to dip in the cooking liquor.

whatislaate Fri 15-Jul-11 17:43:19

I made this mackerel dish with a mango and qunioa salad the other day, see link for recipe www.whatislaate.wordpress.com

SilentBob Fri 15-Jul-11 17:47:05

Couscous. I had grilled sea bass with citrus couscous just the other day and it was immense.
Smoked haddock is ace with a green salad and wholemeal bread.
Honey glazed salmon with prawns on a simply dressed salad is lovely.
tuna steak with stir fried vegetables and noodles is the quickest thing in the world and tastes great.

SilentBob Fri 15-Jul-11 17:48:26

Oh, butter bean mash is fab too. I eat that with loads of things, fish included!

Taffeta Fri 15-Jul-11 18:18:34

pasta
rice with soy and sugar snaps, baked salmon
very mild coconut fish curry
fish in cheesy sauce with mash

Or the best for children, IMO, is a whole massive fish in the middle of the table, with new potatoes and veg or salad. Pick off the meaty bits as you go. Leave the head on, they find it fascinating.

Taffeta Fri 15-Jul-11 18:19:47

ooooo yyy to moules et frites

DC lived off these last year in France. Cooked simply with cider, shallots, parsley and a little cream. mmmmmmmmmmmm

thereistheball Sun 17-Jul-11 18:51:09

I like fish with green veg, eg courgettes fried in basil oil with garlic, or steamed broccoli. You can dress it up with herb butters - get some herbs, chop and mash into room temp butter, then chill and use as needed. White fish go nicely with a dollop of tomato sauce too. Salmon is nice cooked in coconut milk with lime and coriander - I'd have that with rice and steamed broccoli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now