Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birthday cake ideas and take to work cakes...

(18 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Thu 14-Jul-11 20:13:27

My DPs birthday next week and I want to make him a birthday cake and som other cakes we can both take to work - any ideas?

I've got several of Nigella's books (domestic goddess, kitchen, feast, christmas and express) but it doesn't have to be from here unless you can recommend something.

Sharney Thu 14-Jul-11 20:30:08

That's very nice of you. I should say a square cake would be easiest for cut and share and chocolate would be a fair bet for most popular. Also cup cakes. I'd google cake decorating for some ideas for something more out of the ordinary. Nigella's buttermilk birthday cake is supposed to be really good at being shaped and iced/frosted without crumbling.

Have fun!

Yes, yes, yes - Do Nigella's Guinness Cake from Feast. I guarantee that you will get at least three marriage proposals if you do. smile

AuntieMaggie Thu 14-Jul-11 20:37:49

Ooh 3??? I'm only looking for one wink

Geordieminx Thu 14-Jul-11 20:44:43

IMO, the best cakes to take into work are ones that don't need cutting, so people can take a wedge piece as they are passing.

Nigellas malteaser tray bake is totally divine, esp if you add tiny marshmallows into it.

My other failsafe for work is Anthony worrall thompsons chocolate brownies.... They are amazing ( have even had people at work pay me to make themblush)

Someone on another thread recommended Betty Crockers devil's chocolate cake mix as a fab chocolate cake. As an easy but impressive option, make this cake as per instructions, fill with fresh cream and raspberries, ice with Nigellas malteser chocolate cake icing, handful of raspberries on top, and then sieve some icing sugar over them to make it look posh.

Sorted.

AuntieMaggie Thu 14-Jul-11 20:56:45

mmmm I've made th malteser cake a few times now and its yummy.

I thought about having the cake at home for me family and making something like cupcakes or brownies for work... am just looking at a white choc brownie recipe...

Geordieminx Thu 14-Jul-11 20:57:56

Yup, cake for home then brownies or tray bake for work.

Banana loaf with chocolate chips is scummy too.

Am on a diet, I want all of these cakes. Now.

AuntieMaggie Thu 14-Jul-11 21:08:21

I'm on a diet too - that's the real reason i'm baking as I have an excuse to eat them blush

Taffeta Fri 15-Jul-11 18:15:39

yy ot easy to cut traybake - I like carrot and pecan or lemon drizzle. Chocolate can be a bit much at this time of year.

One of my favourite summer cakes is Delia's Lime and Coconut

I also have a wonderful recipe for an orange cake with orange buttercream.

AuntieMaggie Fri 15-Jul-11 19:00:07

ooh they all sound yummy... so much to choose from!

Sharney Sat 16-Jul-11 11:01:38

Taffeta any chance that orange cake recipe is going to make an appearance? Sounds yummy. Everything sounds yummy. May have to spend some time in the kitchen today. smile

Taffeta Sat 16-Jul-11 14:49:21

Here you go Sharney

Its the best orange cake I've ever had smile

AuntieMaggie Sun 17-Jul-11 15:44:25

Well, asked DP what his favourite cake was and he said bakewell tart (?! I've never seen him eat it!) but I'm crap with pastry so I made...

the guiness cake which looks a bit ropey but tastes good (some of it stuck to the tin) but I can't get the darn icing to the right consistency

a traybake thing with nuts

a banana cake (we had loads of manky ones)

and chocolat biscotti because he loves the christmas one I make, but its not a great sucess either and is crumbly rather than slices!

so half success is better than nothing I suppose! will defo be trying the orange cake though (citris cakes are my fav) and may be the lime and coconut!

Taffeta Sun 17-Jul-11 17:59:14

Oh but what wonderful taste he has!!! I also adore bakewell tart, and infact anything with almonds in. I am an almond fiend. If you want any cake recipes with almond in, let me know. I can throughly recommend:

- Raspberry and almond madiera loaf ( this is quite like a bakewell )
- Orange and almond ( very easy all in one food processor )
- Pistachio cake ( To. Die.For )
- Lemon and almond
etc

I made biscotti at Christmas using a recipe HopeForTheBest gave me, they were gorgeous, can dig out recipe if you like. They are twice baked, which ensures they are solid enough to slice, but you do need a very sharp knife and a one slice firm action, iykwim.

Sharney Sun 17-Jul-11 19:34:20

Thanks Taffeta, I can't wait to try it!

AuntieMaggie Mon 18-Jul-11 12:38:43

omg please let me have those recipes!

Taffeta Mon 18-Jul-11 17:51:53

OK Maggies it'll have to be tomorrow night as I'm out tonight if thats OK

AuntieMaggie Tue 19-Jul-11 19:44:51

That'll be great thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now