Talk

Advanced search

Side Dishes to go with Hog Roast?

(8 Posts)
AngryFeet Thu 14-Jul-11 16:30:45

We are having a party for about 40-50 people next month in our garden and a good friend is supplying a hog roast. What sort of things should we serve with this and how much food is needed? I am pretty sure there are no veggies coming and it will be a fairly long party (from 1pm until midnight I would guess). I am not too worried about cost as everyone will be chipping in so we should have loads if we ask for £5 a head or so.

Any ideas appreciated. I will however be setting this up on my own the day before so things that are quick and easy would be best!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 14-Jul-11 16:53:02

From what I remember, plenty of bread, stuffing, apple sauce, chutneys and other things to make chunky roast pork sandwiches with! For the more delicate eaters a selection of various potato/bean/rice and green salads.

RogerMelly Thu 14-Jul-11 16:55:05

cobs/rolls, apple sauce, bbq sauce or ketchup, a large salad, a cold pasta dish, some fruit and some cakes <fat>

nothing beats a hog roast imo, unless you are Muslim obviously

AngryFeet Thu 14-Jul-11 19:14:24

I can't wait! Last time I went to a party with one it was gone before I got there so this will be my first time <hog roast virgin>.

Might do some burgers and hot-dogs for the evening as we are eating the hog at 2 and will need something to soak up the alcohol at 8 ish smile

deemented Thu 14-Jul-11 19:18:32

Just don't do what i did.

Announce very loudly to everyone that 'I do love a good spit roast!'

blush

bagelmonkey Thu 14-Jul-11 19:20:38

Just a thought. The burgers and sausages might be shown up by the preceding hog roast. Why not do something a not less meaty in the evening?

iklboo Thu 14-Jul-11 19:21:38

I love a good potato salad with my hot juicy pork grin

colditz Thu 14-Jul-11 19:24:37

Crusty bread, butter, apple sauce, ketchup, mustard pickle, black pepper and sea salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now