Talk

Advanced search

My toddler loves shop brought food.

(14 Posts)
mimimomma Thu 14-Jul-11 13:16:01

My 19month dd has never had a big appetite, but I'm happy that she eats what she needs in terms of volume, as is an average weight for her age, full of energy etc.

However, over the past 6 months we have occasionally used shop brought meals as a quick, easy option. She used to eat a good variety of nice home made things such as chicken casserole, liver casserole, cheesy veg, fish cakes etc. But now she just pushes them away and says 'no'. She'll happy finish a whole HIPP organic tray of food, and apparently the 2 days that she's at nursery she eats ok. She'll eat any flavour of shop brought food. The only other things that I know she'll eat without fuss are pasta with pesto and grated cheese, brocoli, cream cheese sandwhiches and all fresh fruit, yoghurts etc

I love cooking, and really wish she'd eat more of the things we eat. However, am getting into a habit of giving her HIPP because of the frustration of cooking something lovely that she won't touch and then her going without.
Has anyone else experienced this? What am I doing wrong?

cheesesarnie Thu 14-Jul-11 13:34:38

do you mean ready meals?surely unless you grow your own and have your own livestock all food is shop brought.

my advice if you dont want her to have ready meals is simply dont offer it.

LilBB Thu 14-Jul-11 13:39:32

My DD is 2.9 and went through a phase for a few months of not wanting to eat what I gave her. She ate fine for the childminder though. I just waited it out knowing she ate well some days. I gave her meals where I knew there was something in it she liked eg beans, yogurt. She's started to get better now especially as her speech and understanding has increased. She still has her moments but on the whole is a good eater.

The only thing I could suggest you try if you dont want to do it the way I did would be keep the plastic trays the meals are in and try to trick her. Put what you are all having in her tray and see how she reacts.

Reality Thu 14-Jul-11 13:43:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Reality Thu 14-Jul-11 13:45:06

Reality Thu 14-Jul-11 13:46:12

supadupapupascupa Thu 14-Jul-11 13:47:00

grin at reality
you beat me to it.....I am cringing....

scottishmummy Thu 14-Jul-11 13:47:03

stop buying shop bought,only offer homemade
she eats non branded at nursery so its just habit at home
kick the habit stop buying branded stuff

strandednomore Thu 14-Jul-11 13:47:22

Maybe she means the shop brought the food to the house?

Just a thought.

mimimomma Thu 14-Jul-11 14:46:20

Wow... you are horrible. Grammar and spelling advice wasn't what I posted about. However much you beg to differ.

SkipToTheEnd Thu 14-Jul-11 14:53:57

I would just keep offering her what you are making, she'll grow out of it and quickly forget about the HIPP meals if you don't offer them.

Do you give her the HIPP meals in the little trays they come in? If so, maybe put your own food into a clean one to see if that works.

rumpleteaser Thu 14-Jul-11 15:02:04

mimi I second trying to trick your child in eating off the HIPP tray.
Hope it works.
I don't get why people waste their time posting about grammar instead of actually trying to help the op.
Hope it doesn't put you off seeking help or advice in future.

scottishmummy Thu 14-Jul-11 15:05:10

see the spelling bullies arrived to piss on everyone chips
when a more gracious and well mannered poster,would have let the discussion flow.but i suppose in absence of manners there is only pickiness

mimimomma Thu 14-Jul-11 19:46:04

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll try putting my food into the HIPP trays and also have to be very strict about not buying them at all. It's going to be hard, as I hate to think she's going hungry, and also HIPP ready made foods aren't exactly like giving her a MacDonalds, but she's becoming a fussy little madam angel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now