Talk

Advanced search

Plum Jam recipe !

(4 Posts)
pingusmumtoo Wed 13-Jul-11 21:31:12

Anyone got a really good one ?
Our ancient plum tree drops at least a couple of kg a day at this time of the year, I always put a message on freecycle but this year I thought I should actually make some jam with them and DP will be making wine ....
They're small and not always very sweet but this year they seem better.
So any recipes greatfully received.

Furball Thu 14-Jul-11 08:21:45

I use this one

It only keeps for about 3 months so

I keep the plums in lb bags in the freezer and make as and when need new jar.

ApplesinmyPocket Thu 14-Jul-11 08:34:55

I love making jam - very therapeutic - I haven't tried the microwave method though.

Ginger goes wonderfully with plums, if you like it. I add chopped stem ginger (from a jar) to my plum jam after the boiling stage.

prettybird Thu 14-Jul-11 09:04:57

We make loads from our Victoria plum tree. This is my annotated and adapted version from my Good Housekeeping cook book.

2.7kg (4lb) plums (halved and stoned)
900 ml (1.5 pints) water (use less water if plums really ripe)
2.7kg (4lb) granulated sugar ( don't use caster)
knob of butter
a few cracked stones
1 lemon (cut in half and juice squeezed in, don't worry about the pips, plus drop the two halves in)
A couple of cinnamon sticks

1. Place the plums and water in a preserving pan and simmer gently for 30-60 minutes until fruit is really soft and the contents of the are well reduced (variation is because it depends on how soft the fruit is). NB: the next step (adding the sugar) "sets" the fruit, so however small/soft they have got is where they will stay.
2. Removed the pan from the heat, add the sugar, stirring until dissolved and then add the knob of butter, kernels, lemon juice & halves and cinnamon sticks. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 10-20++ minutes, stirring frequently (recipe book says 10-15 minutes - I have found it to be longer than 20 - but that may be the plums)
3. Test for a set (jam wrinkles when finger pulled through a wee spoonful that has been cooled on a cold plate) and when setting point has been reached, take pan ofd the heat.
4. Skim scum off the surface and remove the lemon halves, cracked stones and cinnamon sticks.
5. Leave to stand for 15 minutes. Pot and cover.
Makes about 10lb. (I usually make at least two batches)

We've also made plum chutney and pickled plums which have gone down well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now