Talk

Advanced search

Going dairy free - milk substitute?

(7 Posts)
Loopymumsy Wed 13-Jul-11 21:17:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Xiaoxiong Thu 14-Jul-11 10:16:44

I like both soy and almond milk in tea (both unsweetened) - but neither tastes like cow's milk, so your tea will definitely taste different.

Try both and see what you think - it's a very individual taste. If you are quite picky, then I would warn you you are unlikely to replicate your usual brew with anything other than skimmed milk.

scaryfairy28 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:30:07

I'm dairy free but can have goats milk which you can get in tesco now in the usual blue, green and red.

Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-11 19:34:10

I have recently gone dairy free. I use the Alpro soya milk. I prefer the light version of it (I am not keen on milk and only ever had skimmed milk in tea and coffee) but it is harder to get hold off, and only comes in the litre boxes. The Alpro orginal also comes is 250ml cartons. You do get used to it - it has a slight after taste, or smell at least. I only use a small amount anyway.

The soya milk is odd in coffee though. I have found that when I add the milk last it goes all flaky looking off top. But if I put the milk in first it is less likely to do so. Or if you warm the milk (or the coffee with me) the flakiness goes. Doesn't happen with tea though.

trixymalixy Thu 14-Jul-11 19:37:21

I didn't have anything in my tea when I was dairy free. My FIL has Oatly, it was my preferred option on cereal and for cooking with too.

Lynzilove Thu 14-Jul-11 19:45:17

I'm dairy free and just gave up anything in tea and coffee, although I will have soya in costa/Starbucks or somewhere. I have tried oatly (good with porridge/oat cereal) now have soya milk on cereal, the best one I have found is asda smart price lonlife unsweetened soya milk, isnt strong tasting and is dead creamy. I had found that it's the same in all the supermarkets, cheap as chips soya milk is nicer than expensive
Alpro etc which can taste too soyay!

Loopymumsy Thu 14-Jul-11 20:13:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: