Talk

Advanced search

Using up defrosted puff pastry

(14 Posts)
Pootles2010 Wed 13-Jul-11 16:57:48

Am using puff pastry to make some chicken 'pot pies' tonight, only need a bit but have had to defrost a whole roll of the pre-made stuff, will have loads spare.

Any ideas? I have ds's first birthday party next weekend, so was wondering if i could make something like cheese straws maybe? Can you cook pastry then re-freeze?

Help me!

Chipotle Wed 13-Jul-11 17:04:58

Don't know... I was under the impression that anything frozen couldn't be refrozen? Have you got any sausages? You could make sausage rolls for packed lunch tomorrow?

southeasthamster Wed 13-Jul-11 17:05:49

i always make sausage rolls from leftover pasty, they're so much nicer than any bought one

Chipotle Wed 13-Jul-11 17:06:22

My DH says 'of course you can', in my experience that means definitely don't do it! grin

Pootles2010 Wed 13-Jul-11 17:12:56

See i thought that Chipotle, but thought if you cooked it then froze it it was ok?

For example frozen mince cooked as bolognese then re-frozen.

Nervous though, esp as feeding to other people's kids.

IroningBoardForSurfBoard Wed 13-Jul-11 17:14:24

cooked then re-frozen is fine

it just won't be a crisp, that's all

pengymum Wed 13-Jul-11 17:14:42

Generally you can freeze again once it has been cooked but not if only defrosted.
So can use frozen product to make a cooked dish and then freeze that again.
I would make sausage rolls! But they wouldn't last long enough to freeze in our house.
Also can make tomato and mozzarella tarts:
Cut puff pastry into squares. Spread with small smear of mustard (not too much if you are not mustard fans!) and top with slices of tomato and mozzarella, sprinkle with some dried herbs or a smear of pesto if liked.
Bake in hot oven about 200 deg C till mozzarella melts.
Can also use roasted veggies instead/as well.
Yum!
Saw this on a prog think it was Saturday Kitchen or similar a year or so ago.

Can make a larger tart too - think if you google it will find some recipes.

ScarletOHaHa Wed 13-Jul-11 17:21:39

my ds likes pepperoni slices with puff patry cut to size. I like the tomato, pesto tart thingy.

Pootles2010 Wed 13-Jul-11 17:28:12

Hmm interesting! Thanks all.

Courgette plant is going nuts, could i do red pesto, courgette + cheddar?

Naoko Wed 13-Jul-11 18:12:01

Left over puff pastry never lasts here, I usually turn it into some form of quick and easy treat - roll out thinly into a big slab, mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with one of cinnamon, wet the pastry slightly with water, and spread the sugar/cinnamon mix over. Roll the whole thing up, and cut the resulting roll of pastry into slices about a third of an inch thick. Space them out on a baking sheet and bake until puffed up and golden. I've no idea if you can freeze them, I tend to feed them to visiting groups of friends on dvd night and the longest they've ever lasted was about 20 minutes.

bigTillyMint Wed 13-Jul-11 19:59:13

Make cheese straws 0 roll out thinnish, cover half in grated cheese, fold the other half over and roll a bit more to stick it together. Brush with beaten egg / milk then cut into 1" wide strips. Twist the strips and place on an oiled baking trat and bake at about Mk 6 till they go golden brown.

The only problem is, they only last about as long as Naokos cinnamon wheels!

stopiwanttogetoff Wed 13-Jul-11 20:41:24

Pin wheel pizzas - roll out the pastry into a square. Cover with pasta sauce (preferably not too lumpy) grated cheese and some shredded ham. Leave a 2cm gap around the edge. Then roll the pastry Swiss roll style. Pop it in the fridge for 10 minutes and then chop into equal sized pieces, no more than 2cm each. Lay the pieces on their sides on a baking tray, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with mixed herbs. Bake in the oven.

I use frozen pastry and then refreeze once cooked and they have been fine.

MrsFizzywig Thu 14-Jul-11 12:42:03

Not sure about the pastry Pootles but I use my glut of courgettes to make Indian courgette pakoras.
Grate a couple of courgettes
Add one finely sliced onion, some minced up ginger and garlic, some chopped fresh coriander, salt and a little ground cumin.
Sieve over about 2 dessert spoons of gram flour and mix it all up.
(amounts are a bit variable depending on the size of your courgettes)

Shallow fry dessert spoon size blobs (IYSWIM) until golden brown, flip over and fry the other side.

My kids scoff these for a snack with ketchup. Its a good way of getting them to eat courgettes.

Pootles2010 Fri 15-Jul-11 09:15:13

Thanks all, didn't have that much left over in the end - typical! Did similar thing to Naoko - but added raisins, sort of pathetic danish pastry. Not particularly pretty, yummy though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now