Talk

Advanced search

Cucumber Salad - Do you have a good recipe?

(10 Posts)
LemonDifficult Tue 12-Jul-11 19:19:02

So far I have: cucumbers.

I'm planning to follow a recipe for chicken stuffed with tomatoes and bread. At the end of the recipe it says 'serve with a cucumber salad'. Hmmm. Any suggestions?

Thistledew Tue 12-Jul-11 19:32:39

Yes!

Peel and de-seed (normally I like skins on but you have to for this recipe) then cut into small pieces.

Then make a dressing from a couple of table spoons of vinegar (preferably rice vinegar but white wine would do) and a teaspoon or two of sugar (to taste. I like mine quite sharp but you don't want to strip your tastebuds).

Simply add A to B and allow to marinade for 15 mins or so.

Alternatively, cucumber goes really well with a yogurt and mint dressing- again add a little vinegar for sharpness.

LemonDifficult Tue 12-Jul-11 21:31:43

I have rice vinegar! And sugar! Sounds good and I'm gonna do it

Cheers

<bow of thanks>

TwoAndaHalfNeurons Tue 12-Jul-11 21:33:19

I like just olive oil, vinegar and some chopped fresh mint

amistillsexy Tue 12-Jul-11 21:34:36

I'd add mint to any one of these recipes for added ooomph!

LemonDifficult Tue 12-Jul-11 21:37:59

I have mint too. Maybe I'll do a control mint-included salad and one non-mint salad. Scrummy

Taffeta Wed 13-Jul-11 16:41:19

Dill, cucumber is divine with dill.

Mandoline or finely slice a whole cue. (Remove skin first). Heat 100ml rice wine vinegar in pan over low heat and stir in 110g caster sugar until dissolved. Cool.

Finely chop dill. Layer a 1/4 of the cue in a small high sided dish and season sprinkle a 1/4 of the dill over the cue and repeat layers. Pour over vinegar cover and leave for at least an hour. Drain liquid before eating.

LemonDifficult Fri 15-Jul-11 14:18:46

Thank you everyone! I've made Thistledew's salad (with mint as suggested 2.5 and AISS) - was a total success, so made it again today. I've now seen the Dill idea and am going to try that sometime in next few days. I love dill.

Rice wine vinegar added to shopping list.

jenni75 Fri 15-Jul-11 15:34:38

I make cucumber salad with finely sliced cucumber, sliced onion , vinegar and a bit of sugar to sweeten. As a kid this would accompany yorkshire puddings and gravy as a starter- yummy!

Thistledew Sat 16-Jul-11 00:27:02

Glad you like it LD. It is deceptively simple but very delicious. Will try it with mint myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now