Talk

Advanced search

Salad ideas for dh to take to work, and yes I will be making them and no I don't want a commentary on my marriage - it's lasted longer than yours (maybe)

(53 Posts)
Dumbledoresgirl Mon 11-Jul-11 20:34:49

Sorry about title - a joke from another thread.

Seriously, I am looking for salad ideas for dh to take to work. Currently, I do a mean rice salad, a Greek salad (but that one lacks carbs so wondering if there is anything I can do about that?) and a sort of salad nicoise.

How could I ring the changes?

Oh, and I know this is going to sound totally ridiculous, but I have tons and tos of lettuce growing in the garden but few salads that can take the bouncing around of a sandwich box contain lettuce. Do you know any that will?

Thanks. smile

<Awaits tedious commentary on the state of my marriage and the fact that I am a throwback to the 1950s - I am, by choice so live with it.>

AMumInScotland Mon 11-Jul-11 20:44:52

I used to do one with lettuce, apple and cucumber all mixed with mayo (that stopped the apple browning, but it's maybe not substantial enough on its own? I also buy pasta salad - that's good and filling, and I'm sure you could make one up quite easily. My favourite variety is "Italian" - tomato sauce, peppers, sweetcorn.

<Coming up on 20 years. If your division of labour suits you, stuff anyone who disapproves>

Taffeta Mon 11-Jul-11 20:46:43

I like your style, Dumbledore. wink

My DH likes protein heavy salads, so like a nicoise, think cold potatoes, hard boiled egg, tuna etc. I also do a small pasta one with sweet soy, sugar snaps, spring onions and tuna. You can replace the pasta with cooked noodles, and add chilli and some lime zest, coriander.

Also bacon is good in salads, an old stylee egg, bacon, tomato and lettuce salad with a dressing on the side so it doesn't go all limp.

Hugh FW has some excellent lunchtime salad suggestions in his Every Day book I can fish out if you want some more.

SingingSands Mon 11-Jul-11 20:49:19

I do pasta with shredded ham, sweetcorn, chopped peppers, chopped tomatoes, cooked mushrooms and then mix with ranch dressing. Mmmm!

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 11-Jul-11 20:51:38

Ooo, thanks, both (bows to AMumInScotland's slightly superior in length marriage - but how long since you met, eh?)

I need to get into pasta salad ideas more, I think.

Yes, being the old-fashioned sort, dh is into protein rich meals too. Can I ask what sweet soy is? And could I have the exact recipe if it isn't too much trouble? It sounds like it would cover a few bases, though I have to say I simply loathe coriander so might give that part a miss!

jellycat Mon 11-Jul-11 21:00:23

I do a bean salad with some canned mixed beans, spring onion, peppers and celery (you can also add sweetcorn, or anything else you fancy really), with French dressing.

Tuna and sweetcorn pasta salad is quick, easy and filling (dressed with mayonnaise). I also do a pasta salad with spring onion, cucumber, borlotti beans and cubed feta (dressed with mayo)

DirtyMartini Mon 11-Jul-11 21:04:09

1 bag dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, cooked until tender and dressed while hot with:

Olive oil and lemon juice dressing (5 T oil to 2 T lemon, lots of salt and pepper)
Chopped de-seeded fresh red chillies (one or two according to taste)
Large handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped

They absorb a ton of dressing as they cool. Keeps well in fridge. I can eat a ton of this as a meal on its own but that's not really rational behaviour; is better with mixed leaves and/or crumbled feta.

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 21:06:59

I love couscous salad. I usually make it with tons of parsley (you could also use rocket), lemon juice, olive oil, diced cucumber, olives. Sometimes also add feta or harissa paste, roast veg etc.

Also tabouleh is another grain based one which is v tasty.

ItsNotUnusual Mon 11-Jul-11 21:07:29

I make an approximation of a sweet chilli noodle salad I had from m&s. Egg noodles, rice noodles with a sweet chilli sauce/ vinegar / oil dressing with some or all of the following added: peppers, sweecorn, thin strips of carrot (I use the veg peeler), sweet chilli chcken, salmon, tomato, mango, pomegranate seeds. Makes loads but is hugely popular here!

EllieG Mon 11-Jul-11 21:08:11

Re the lettuce - I have a clever box that has lots of compartments in - I put the salad stuff in separately (current favourite is coronation chicken - M and s do a coronation chicken paste that you mix with yogurt etc) and then mix it all when get to lunchtime. The lettuce doesn't get bounced around or soggy and is oddly fun like having a little work-day picnic. But I am quite sad and obsessive about tupperware.

AMumInScotland Mon 11-Jul-11 21:10:36

grin 21 1/2 since we met, but only 20 1/2 since we got together

Ismeyes Mon 11-Jul-11 21:11:33

I would like to join this thread, as was just about to post asking for easy lunchbox salad ideas too, although these are for DH to make for DD's packed lunch and we have have been together 10 years so not sure what that says about my marriage grin

Some of these on here are great, would love to hear some more kid friendly ones?

Taffeta Mon 11-Jul-11 21:13:24

<riffles through larder to locate soy>

Its called Sanchi Organic Tamari Soy Sauce and I bought it in Sainsbo's. Its much sweeter and deeper flavour makes it brill for use in salads IMO.

As for an exact recipe, I'm afraid I made it up. It was one of those add whatever is left in the fridge and slather on some soy. I also cut up Sainsbo's sun blush tomatoes in it, and quarter fresh cherry toms too at this time of year as they are nice and sweet. As a rough guide, then, I'd say cook enough very small pasta shapes or noodles and drain with cold water. Then add a few handfuls each, chopped of your choice or all of spring onions, cherry toms, sun blush toms, sugar snaps, red pepper, half to 3/4 a tin of tuna. A good 2 or so tablespoons of the sweet soy and either chopped fresh chilli or lots of black pepper, lime zest to liven it a bit. Or a quartered lime separate would be even better so he could squeeze it on himself just before eating.

HFW's suggestions include tomato, chipolata and new potato with mustardy vinaigrette, beef with mustardy lentils and mint, chicken french bean and almond, chicken with couscous honey and cinnamon, tabula kisir, and various slaws and fritattas.

PotteringAlong Mon 11-Jul-11 21:14:27

Chicken caesar salad all good - I put dressing in a small pot for my DH and we've only been married for 9 months grin

PotteringAlong Mon 11-Jul-11 21:15:07

Or Greek salad but with falafel?

Taffeta Mon 11-Jul-11 21:15:22

ooo Ellie I didn't know M and S did a cc paste! I made CC for the Royal Wedding and although delicious it took all bloody day to make.

yomellamoHelly Mon 11-Jul-11 21:17:48

I do a pasta salad with onions (fried), tin of tuna (tipped out), a couple of generous handfuls of pine nuts, pasta (cooked, obviously) - all mixed together with some mayonnaise.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 11-Jul-11 21:18:58

Thanks everyone, and I will look out for that Taffeta as it is exactly the sort of thing dh likes, though I am not sure are mini Tesco will have it.

(21 years together here AMumInScotland. I think you and I should call it even wink)

Meglet Mon 11-Jul-11 21:19:46

Insalata Della Nonna (Grandmothers special salad).

Potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and dressing. Sometimes I add goats cheese, mozarella, ciabatta. Tinned potatoes work just fine BTW.

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 11-Jul-11 21:20:53

Durrr! That should be "our" Tesco. blush

Annunziata Mon 11-Jul-11 21:24:08

Sweet and sour bread salad is great. Or potato salad with potatoes, green beans, onion or garlic and white wine vinegar?

Oblomov Mon 11-Jul-11 21:24:18

cc paste ? well I never . God this thread is yummy.

Annunziata Mon 11-Jul-11 21:24:53

Oops cross posted with Meglet.

Taffeta Mon 11-Jul-11 21:26:39

Annunziata - mmm sweet and sour bread salad, details please!

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Jul-11 21:29:32

Cous cous and roasted veg - peppers, field mushrooms, cherry toms and sweet potato. Chick peas or roast halloumi for protein. Salad dressing of choice. Fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now