Talk

Advanced search

Which pantry / store cupboard items MUST be kept in teh dark?

(8 Posts)
HettyAmaretti Mon 11-Jul-11 18:28:46

I'm moving soon to a house where most of the kitchen storage is open, thankfully I have about 1001 kilner jars. But, apart from potatoes what absolutely needs to be kept in the dark? I have some vague notion that flour might need to be, but no idea if it's true. Otherwise I'm clueless.

Help! Please.

HettyAmaretti Mon 11-Jul-11 21:17:40

Oh dear, is this a very daft question?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 23:19:26

Aside from potatoes the only things I can think of that deteriorate when exposed to light are herbs and spices - particularly the green leafy types of herbs. But it takes quite a long time for their colour to fade, by which stage their flavour is probably pretty ropey anyway. Leaf tea might not do so well for similar reasons. Flour is fine if you keep it dry. I keep all kinds of things on open shelves in airtight jars... pasta, lentils, beans, different types of rice, flour... and they're always OK.

HettyAmaretti Tue 12-Jul-11 08:05:07

thanks CES. That's great!

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 12-Jul-11 10:05:45

Preserves keep better in the dark.

LordOfTheFlies Tue 12-Jul-11 16:55:10

Beer,brandy,cognac,armagnac,calvados. But only to prevent DH from finding it grin

Herbs definately.And I keep oil and vinegar in cupboard or pantry.

HettyAmaretti Wed 13-Jul-11 07:43:24

RIght

Potatoes
Onions & garlic?
herbs
preserves

anything else?

How important is it with oil & vinegar? I've seen a lot of people do keep it out.

I'm a nothing-out-bare-work-surfaces sort of cook by nature but the house we're moving too is so lovely and so well positioned that I'm going to have to compromise and go totally the other way with the new kitchen. I'm going to do my best to make it so totally practical that I love it hmm.

House is a rental so new kitchen isn't an option.

HettyAmaretti Thu 14-Jul-11 10:36:29

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now