Talk

Advanced search

puff pastry tart - what savoury toppings?

(12 Posts)
NinjaChipmunk Mon 11-Jul-11 16:57:44

I want to make a puff pastry tart this week for dinner but really no idea what to put on it. Does anyone else make these and if so what do you use? Also do you need to cook the pastry first?

bushymcbush Mon 11-Jul-11 17:00:43

I buy the ready made puff pastry. You don't need to cook it first. Toppings:

Mozzarella and tomato with a drizzle of pesto

Mushrooms you have already fried in butter and garlic

Goats cheese and cherry tomatoes

Leave an inch margin around the ashes of your tart and brush the edges with beaten egg.

Enjoy!

bushymcbush Mon 11-Jul-11 17:01:24

Ashes? Edges, of course.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 11-Jul-11 17:07:28

ooh ooh

mix a dollop or two of sour cream with a crushed garlic clove and brush onto the pastry, a bit like you would do if making pizza (leave the edges as bushy said)

top with masses of thin sliced onions and cheese, whatever you fancy

or with sundried toms and chorizo

or with red pepper strips, spring onions and cooked chicken

om nomnom

takes about 20 mins at about 180 deg

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Mon 11-Jul-11 17:08:37

cheese, obviosuly.
then mushrooms and courgettes
or red, yellow and green peppers.

or mushrooms and peppers.
and sweetcorn.

just loads and loads of summer veg.

i love savoury puff pastry tarts grin

NinjaChipmunk Mon 11-Jul-11 17:11:25

wow, these sound really fantastic and now I'm very hungry. Why haven't I made these before? They sound so easy!
Can you brush milk round the edges if you don't have beaten egg?

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 11-Jul-11 17:24:53

milk would be fine

AbsDuCroissant Tue 12-Jul-11 17:51:26

I do
- cooked salmon, flaked on with grilled butternut squash
- goats cheese, onion (fry until golden before) and pine nuts
- roasted vegetables (courgette, butternut, mushrooms) and feta

If we weren't on a freaking diet (again), I'd do a tart tonight. They're delicious

thereistheball Wed 13-Jul-11 10:19:51

I did one last week with tapenade, courgettes (which I'd already fried) and goats' cheese. It was delicious. Had it with a tomato and red onion salad.

pleasenap Wed 13-Jul-11 10:55:24

I do a Good Food one with caramelised onions (1 small one per person, thinly sliced, fried in butter slowly til brown), walnuts and crumbled stilton. Tis very yum! And I never bother with the milk/egg unless I have some around or cooking for friends and its fine.

Also do a Nigel Slater one which is cut one of the small rinded goats cheese's in half horizontally, bring edges up a square of puff pastry and pinch around the cheese roughly (open at the top), bit of fresh thyme and drizzle a bit of honey. Bake 20min.

ChrissasMissis Sun 17-Jul-11 11:01:35

I make these quite often. My personal favourite is (layering from the bottom up) a smear of red pesto, some finely sliced caramelised red onions, sun-blush or halved cherry tomatoes, strips of roasted red pepper, feta cubes and chunks/slices of chorizo. A few black olives work well, too, if you have some...I love this type of meal - the possibilities are endless...

RobynLou Sun 17-Jul-11 11:05:17

caramelised red onions, garlic and feta cheese. yum.

Its my failsafe 'bring a dish' solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now