Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used Tate & Lyle pectin when making jam?

(6 Posts)
ttalloo Sun 10-Jul-11 16:55:53

I'm making apricot jam and couldn't find jam sugar in the supermarket so I've got Tate & Lyle pectin, which says to use one sachet for each kilo of strawberries - but as these are low in pectin & apricots are medium I don't know how much to use!

ppeatfruit Sun 10-Jul-11 18:02:43

If your apricots are hard they'll have more pectin and you won't need extra if they're soft then add one sachet. i never add extra pectin i just squeeze in lemon juice if nec.

ttalloo Sun 10-Jul-11 18:22:21

Ppeatfruit my apricots are a mixture of ripe and barely ripe - I'm using lemon juice - as I've got 4 kilos of apricots do you think a sachet will be enough?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 10:33:12

I usually peel a Bramley or two and lob it in for the pectin. Apple isn't a strong flavour so it doesn't spoil the main fruit. With apricots, if you crack a few of the kernels and add the almond-like nut inside to the jam as it's cooking, you get quite a good set that way as well.

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Jul-11 13:26:39

yes if there are more unripe than ripe apricots like cogito says it's a nice idea to put the kernels in as well.

poppyandsneeze Mon 11-Jul-11 13:27:46

I have made jam and not used pectin. I used lemon juice in my jam and it is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now