Talk

Advanced search

Help - need a straw to eat my creme brulee

(11 Posts)
partystress Sat 09-Jul-11 22:09:52

To take to a friend's tomorrow. Tastes heavenly, but VERY runny, despite cooking for almost double the time it said, and chilling in fridge for 4 hours -it's no firmer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

HopeForTheBest Sat 09-Jul-11 22:19:45

What recipe have you followed? I might be able to help. I have had Creme Brulee Crisis, I feel your pain grin

partystress Sat 09-Jul-11 22:25:50

Ooh, hope so. James Martin. Everything was mixed cold, the baked in bain marie. Left it in 90 mins in the end cos still so liquid. Now top is vaguely set, but underneath, still liquid. Stupidly thought it would be easy... I am in your hands!

HopeForTheBest Sat 09-Jul-11 22:28:48

It will be fine. Really!

Am off to google james martin recipe so i can see what we're working with... back in a mo..

partystress Sat 09-Jul-11 22:33:26

Very grateful smile

HopeForTheBest Sat 09-Jul-11 22:36:29

Ok, have you made one big one or lots of little ones? And I could only find JM recipes which do NOT contain cornflour, is that right?

I make mine vaguely following the Delia recipe which (totally non-authentically) uses cornflour to thicken it. It is sacrilige, but it works.

I also <whispers> make it in the microwave. It tastes fabulous, is no bother at all, and (since doing it like this) always works. It is foolproof.

So, I think you need to thicken it up. I personally am a what-the-hell kind of person, so I would bung it into a large bowl, mix a good tablespoon of cornflour with a little cold cream, mix that in and then heat on high for a few minutes, checking every now and again to see if it is thickening and then whisk in the thickened bits iyswim (so it isn't lumpy).
If no microwave, then you can also do it in heavy-bottomed pan on top of stove, on medium heat, stirring gently to stop bottom sticking.

partystress Sat 09-Jul-11 22:41:03

Yup that's the one. Didn't do Delia cos had no cornflour, so that rules out plan A sad. But the thickening it up in a pan might work. Or plan C might be to buy a pie, beat it up a bit and put my brulee in a jug and call it custard! Thanks for holding my hand on this - never mind changing retaiers' buying policy or bringing down 158 year old newspapers: THIS is what MN is really for!

HopeForTheBest Sat 09-Jul-11 22:52:15

grin
I've been on the receiving end of much food-related help on MN!

What about ordinary flour? Like when you're making white sauce?
You need to get something in there which will thicken it up.
I'm wondering if another egg yolk might help...

partystress Sat 09-Jul-11 23:00:55

Ooh, would wory about lumps with ordinary flour. I do a mean and smooth white sauce, but suspect sod's law would strike. Am off to bed now and will hope the fridge fairies magially set it overnight, if not, bung in a pan and see how that goes. Have got some raspberries and am thinking coould get a madeira type cake, some cream and do a kind of trifley, layery type thing...

HopeForTheBest Sat 09-Jul-11 23:14:45

You can whisk in lumps with a stick blender thingy. No more lumps for me in anything! grin

Trifle-thingy sounds like a good back-up plan.
I'm sure it will taste great, whether it sets or not! smile

BettySpaghettiOnAJetty Mon 11-Jul-11 22:18:43

1/2 litre cream, bung a split vanilla pod in it and bring to boil.

1 whole egg, 7 yolks and 125g caster. Whisk till mixed.

Add cream, whisk well and strain.

Put in ramekins, bake in a waterbath in oven at 140 degrees for one hour until they wobble when shook but not in a sloppy way.

Leave in fridge for a few hours to set.

This is foolproof. You do not need to mess around with cornflour. Unnecessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now