Talk

Advanced search

Freezing homemade baby food in Hipp jars?

(16 Posts)
bluesnowfalcon Sat 09-Jul-11 17:32:57

Is it ok to freeze homemade baby food in Hipp jars? Do the jars reseal? Any ideas or thoughts would be great!

Thanks

bluesnowfalcon Sat 09-Jul-11 18:03:39

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to be away in a travel lodge for 2 nights and obviously won't have access to freezer and all DSs food in my freezer! He is just over 12 months old but hates jars of savoury as has had homemade all his weaned life! Just wondered if it might get me out of a hole while I'm away? That or any other thoughts would be gratefully recieved! He will eat sweet/fruit jars which is how I have jars that I could reuse smile

Anyone got any ideas on how to get through 2 days away like this?

abudhabi Sun 10-Jul-11 08:47:25

Please help before i lose my mind!! My nearly 2 yr old will hardly eat a thing - a full meal has never passed hi slips...he just say NO!!! and then screams, often until he is sick!!! All he will eat are yoghurts and pretzels, with the odd piece of apple or water melon! He loves milk and we water skimmed milk down so as not to fill him up! This doesn't work!! he is a really happy boy and it doesn't seem to bother him...although he wakes up several times a night and im sure this is due to hunger. We constantly put new foods in front of him and always eat as a family..nothing seems to help! We have recently added vitamins to his milk because we are worried he is not getting the nutrients he needs.
Has anyone got any top tips or ideas to help me. Im so worried about him.
many thanks x

BuongiornoPrincipessa Sun 10-Jul-11 08:54:37

Abudhabi if your DS likes milk then don't water it down, use Whole milk. It has a lot of nutrients and vitamins already so it's pointless to water down milk and add vits. I only have a one year old who loves milk and is a reluctant eater, but I don't think they starve themselves, so probably a good idea to relax about his intake, keep offering at mealtimes and he will join in eventually. Is he well otherwise? Energetic etc?

Lady1nTheRadiator Sun 10-Jul-11 08:57:46

OP at 12 months can't your DS eat whatever youre having for a couple of days?

tethersend Sun 10-Jul-11 09:07:22

Are hipp jars glass? Won't they explode?

trixymalixy Sun 10-Jul-11 09:10:05

At 12 months my kids were just eating what we eat.

In fact I remember at the end if my mat leave going to stay with my DH who was working away for a few weeks in a hotel and just buying DS stuff off the kids menu. He would have been less than 12 months then.

I don't think I'd freeze stuff in glass jars, it may shatter with the change in temperature. If you really want to give purees you can get good plastic tubs in poundland cheaply or a few bought jars are not going to harm them.

blowninonabreeze Sun 10-Jul-11 09:12:28

I used a silicone muffin tin to freeze portions of food for my DDs. Once frozen, pop the portions out and put them into freezer bags. (like ice cubes in the early weaning days but much bigger.)

Or could you not just put each portion into a small freezer bag, freeze it, and take them like that? Then decant them into a
bowl at each meal time?

tethersend Sun 10-Jul-11 09:23:29

Or just make up the food and ask the hotel to freeze it for you. They might.

OP - why can't he eat whatever you will be eating? We went on holiday for a week when DS1 was 10 months old and he ate in restaurants with us - the only things I took away with us were a few snacks so that I had something portable for in between meals when we out and about.

SleepySuzy Sun 10-Jul-11 09:28:45

They have to have been designed for freezing. Otherwise the glass will break. Use plastic if you can.

valiumredhead Sun 10-Jul-11 10:28:15

No because they are glass!

valiumredhead Sun 10-Jul-11 10:30:36

If you are going by car, can't you take a cool bag with fresh food and then just put it in the room's fridge? confused

DonaAna Sun 10-Jul-11 17:48:23

You can freeze glass jars (I've done that with glass Hipp jars, no prob, no breakage) but they certainly usually won't reseal - that would need some way of forming a vacuum and freezing is not sufficient for that. So if you take your frozen jars out and keep them in the car for more than a couple of hours, the food will spoil unless you are able to re-refrigerate it quickly.

I'd go with *valiumredhead's" advice.

nannyl Sun 10-Jul-11 18:59:19

I have re used glass Hipp baby jars to freeze baby size portions many times.
Also organix, and plenty of other brands in glass jars.

Perfect size, have never ever had one break or crack etc etc.

I find that the lids sometimes dont go on quite right but if you are careful its not a problem just if you do it quick.

I also used to sterilise the jars in the steriliser and freeze in the freezer.

Worked well for ages.

(just dont over fill them cause the contents will expand on freezing, but so long as not over filled, they DONT crack or break!)

nannyl Sun 10-Jul-11 19:01:21

however as your child in 12 months old he really should be able to eat something off the menu (or even childrens menu)

(Only just read that bit!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now