Talk

Advanced search

What can I cook for vegetarians please?

(11 Posts)
octopusinabox Fri 08-Jul-11 18:19:40

I'm looking for something to cook for some veggie friends.

We don't particularly like med veg such as aubergine/courgette and it would also need to be low fat and not too spicy (young children eating it as well).

Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking of maybe a tagine type thing (normally make it with chicken and chick peas but not sure what to replace the chicken with)

brightwell Fri 08-Jul-11 18:36:51

Just omit the chicken, or how about mushroom risotto.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 09-Jul-11 12:33:45

How about a vegetarian lasagne? Layer up the pasta sheets with tomato sauce that contains finely diced vegetables and some red lentils, some frozen spinach, defrosted and top with cheese sauce as normal. Use skimmed milk and extra strong cheese to keep the fat down. Very tasty.

If you normally make a tagine with chicken and chickpeas, just leave out the chicken and add more chickpeas.

scabbysnake Sat 09-Jul-11 16:33:30

when i do a veggie tangine i do it with sweet pot & chickpeas which is lovely!

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 09-Jul-11 16:34:33

Macaroni cheese?

fglitter Sat 09-Jul-11 16:36:12

Feta and spinach pie - de-li-cious! www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/468661/spinach-and-feta-filo-pie

Or could just do a chickpea curry (google chana masala and then amend recipe halving chilli).

fglitter Sat 09-Jul-11 16:37:15

Oh and if you make pie just use frozen spinach as it's loooads cheaper and you don't have to faff around with cooking a massive bag down to about 1tsp of spinach smile

livvylouis Sat 09-Jul-11 22:12:49

I can second the feta and spinich pie, I cooked it for tea today for the first time and it went down very well. I am just finishing off the left-overs yum yum smile

mamalovebird Sat 09-Jul-11 22:16:14

Vegetable crumble? I do this and sometimes sex it up with pancetta.

Whatever veg you want in a baking dish, white or cheese sauce, crumble topping, bit of parmesan sprinkled in with the crumble, in the oven for 35-40 minutes. We had this for tea tonight actually, tasty!

octopusinabox Sun 10-Jul-11 10:41:32

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to search for some recipes as I've not made some of those before. I'm on slimming world so the pie is out sadly. I might be able to tweak a lasagne though.

smearedinfood Mon 11-Jul-11 22:48:57

I do stuffed potatoes. Bake them pull out all the spud out off the jackets. Mash, then add grated carrot, courgette, chopped onion, Stilton if your that way inclined but you will need cheese, stuff the mix back in the spud and bake. Yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now