Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone advise me on what to do with all these cherries ?? And can i pick the unripe ones in a personal battle with big BIRD !

(6 Posts)
mooshy1970 Thu 07-Jul-11 13:03:37

Last year the birds got every single cherry over avout 2 days 1
This year we have put huge piece of organza and now massive strips of tin foil all over the tree, but the same little GIT of a bird is living in my tree and scoffing the lot !
Half are ready and other half are green just turning red a little.
My question is... if i pick the lot can i ripen them with an overripe banana like i did tomatoes so we get them before BIG BIRD ?
I think but not sure they are cooking cherries, although dd has eaten about ten and was fine. Anyway how can i use / store them ?
Was hoping i could somehow freeze them for future pies crumbles etc ?
They do look lovely ! x

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 07-Jul-11 13:30:08

Jam! Wonderful.

Can you pop the bird off with an air rifle?

mooshy1970 Thu 07-Jul-11 14:01:43

Have just found a really easy jam recipe thanks.
And no !

TaffetaBeauxbatons Fri 08-Jul-11 13:27:59

Cherry clafoutis mmmmmmmm

Don't pick til ripe

Try filling the bird up with other stuff. Put some about to turn other fruit out for it.

SexyDomesticatedDab Mon 11-Jul-11 12:42:45

We picked the last of our cherries over the weekend 4.5kg! Made jam and will do compote / cherries in syrup with rest. We'd aleready been eating them over rthe last couple of weeks. A big blackbird had found our tree this weekend so we had to act fast. Normallyu our cat keeps the birds off - this one kept coming early in morning and waking us up too.

karmakameleon Mon 11-Jul-11 21:14:51

Cherry brandy. Just had a taste of last years this week and it was delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now