Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Absolute best scone recipe please!

(6 Posts)
ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 06-Jul-11 17:47:35

Anyone got a good one? I have foolishly agreed to make some for a party, and in the past they have turned out very very badly (too flat/hard).

I will be eternally grateful smile

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Wed 06-Jul-11 20:01:10

If you give me time to get ds to bed as we have been out so bedtime delayed I will send you one,the best I have tried,Nigella Lawson one,fabulous grin

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Wed 06-Jul-11 20:58:45

gggggrrrrr I just typed whole thing out for you & mn just wiped it out,if ok will re-type in am,hopenot too late for you smile

Bunbaker Wed 06-Jul-11 21:06:58

8 oz SR flour
2 oz butter/margarine
1 oz sugar
milk, or even better use buttermilk
2 oz raisins/glace cherries chopped (optional)

Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 (220 deg)

Rub fat into flour until they look like breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar and dried fruit, if using, and add enough milk/buttermilk to make a soft and slightly sticky dough. Don't overwork the dough. Place the dough onto a floured surface and gently pat flat until about one inch thick. There is no need to use a rolling pin. Either use a cutter or just use a knife cut the dough into about 8 scones, place on a baking sheet lined with silicone and bake for about 12 minutes.

The key to light scones is not to handle the dough too much and don't twist the cutter. Also, put them in the oven as soon as they are ready as the raising agent starts to work once liquid has been added. Using buttermilk gives a lighter result.

moonbells Wed 06-Jul-11 22:44:22

My recipe is as Bunbaker's but with 2oz sugar, and the liquid is a beaten egg with a splash of milk in it. You shouldn't expect to use all of it; spare goes to glaze them after cutting out. And I always used sultanas.

Should make 8-9 3" scones.

I used to make this as a girl for the family. My way of getting the liquid amount right was to use one hand like a mixer as I gradually tipped it in. Holding fingers out in a kind of claw meant it mixed in rapidly and you know from feel when there's enough to bind it all without being too sticky. I use the same method for shortcrust pastry.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Thu 07-Jul-11 00:08:36

Ooh good tips, thanks so much. What actually is buttermilk? Can you make it or do you have to buy it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now