Talk

Advanced search

Please can someone point me in the direction of an EASY but rich and moist chocolate cake.

(26 Posts)

Please could someone point me in the direction of an EASY but rich and moist chocolate cake. It's for a birthday cake and I'm not particularly good at cakes.

TIA.

LadyDamerel Wed 06-Jul-11 15:32:55

This one is delicious and pretty much idiot proof grin.

NettoSuperstar Wed 06-Jul-11 15:38:11

this one is fab and really easy.

ggirl Wed 06-Jul-11 15:44:44

this is a delicious cheat you can buy in waitrose
def can't tell it's a packet

Thank you I am going to try the BBC recipe tonight.

supadupapupascupa Wed 06-Jul-11 18:11:56

delia's chocolate guiness cake is the easiest and nicest i have ever made

gillybean2 Wed 06-Jul-11 18:12:18

www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/4291-Chocolate-cake-flower-show-favourite

This one is brilliant and easy as anything! So good I had to share it...

that flower show fave is very similar to the bbc one!

tried the BBC one, sorry wasn't very impressed by the cake (which tbh could be my cooking skills) it wasn't very chocolatey and I used Bournville Cocoa.

beachyhead Thu 07-Jul-11 09:41:50

I've never made a cake with oil before - how does that work? I need to make two cakes today.....

Not sure how but it does! I don't suppose you would like to make Nigella Lawsons chocolate cake and let me know how it goes?

orangina Thu 07-Jul-11 09:48:48

I can recommend the Betty Crocker packet mix (Choclate Devils Food Cake)..... MUCH better than any other home made effort of my own (though I am no domestic goddess in the baking dept......).

orangina Thu 07-Jul-11 09:55:47

Sersiouly Queen, I make a delicious looking "easy delicious fabulous chocolate cake" from scratch and it was (frankly) horrible. Dry, yucky, nothing to recommend it. Even dd, who is utterly UNfussy about anything chocolate or cake related, admitted she didn't like it. So for her birthday, I went for Betty Crocker for the cake, and made a delicious dark chocolate buttercream icing on top.

Dd said it was the best cake she had EVER eaten. Really moist.

(Though the cake bit is a bit on the sweet side if I'm honest).

Beachedbabe Thu 07-Jul-11 09:56:11

Very easy chocolate cake

gillybean2 Thu 07-Jul-11 16:28:21

Everyone who has tried my cake loves it, and most ask for the recipe. I had one lady insist she had to have it as her dd wanted it as part of her wedding cake!

I make them by the bucket load for school fetes and they're always gone very fast. And if I have it in the house it vanishes very fast.
Ds made it to give to teachers as leaving presents at his primary school and they all commented on how delicious it was (except one teaching assistant who's dc had scoffed the lot before she got a look in!)

The cake is super easy. The oil makes it very moist (although I don't fancy the sunflower oil version - is that meant to be the healthy version? IMO chocolate cake isn't there to be healthy!) It also means it keeps better and if you leave it in teh oven a little too long it is very forgiving as it softens up those slightly over done patches if you leave it wrapped in foil overnight.

Right Gilly I am going to try your recipe for the actual cake using corn flour and green and blacks cocoa. If it goes horrible wrong I will blame the random woman on the internet.

psiloveyou Fri 08-Jul-11 18:35:29

I third the Betty Crocker packet mix. It is fab and all my friends and neighbours beg me for the recipe blush

thestringcheeseincident Fri 08-Jul-11 18:38:33

Yes to the Betty. So moist it's unreal

LisMcA Fri 08-Jul-11 18:39:49

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

tHIS ONE IS FABULOUS!

gillybean2 Sat 09-Jul-11 15:01:56

my recipe is for normal flour and corn oil... I have made it with tesco's own cocoa as well as organic greem nd blacks, both are fine

poppyboo Sat 09-Jul-11 18:06:25

gillybean2 is that plain flour? i'm tempted to try this, the oil cakes i've tried in the past have had no flavour though, the icing has made them taste chocolately IyKWIM?

i'm really tempted by your recommendation though............ smile

gillybean2 Sat 09-Jul-11 18:24:09

The cake is moist and is the perfect base to the icing, but I would agree it's the icing that makes it really chocolatey

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 09-Jul-11 18:27:07

Marks and spencers do a brilliant chocolate fudge cake mix, I know it is cheating but it is super easy, just need oil, butter and eggs, and it is really lovely

Herecomesthesciencebint Sat 09-Jul-11 21:29:01

I recently made the chocolate fudge cake on the carnation website (uses some carnation caramel in the cake then rest in the icing) and it was DELICIOUS. moist and fudgy.

it also stated to use corn oil but I used rapeseed and twas fine.

Pinner35 Sun 10-Jul-11 21:15:10

The nigella recipe is amazing. It's so easy, my DH and 3yo DD made it for my birthday no problem. Fudgey, moist and utterly delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now