Talk

Advanced search

want to learn basics of making cake and bread in london!

(8 Posts)
skum Tue 05-Jul-11 23:53:23

any suggestions?? Most of the baking classes are quite expensive...

also, wondering, if any of you (in ealing/brent/hanwell) london who would be able to teach me baking ...in return I can teach you perfect indian cooking !!

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 06-Jul-11 10:24:09

Sadly not down London way, otherwise I would take you up on your offer.
Breadmaking basics are covered quite well in other theads on this page. So long as you use the right yeast and let it rise (easier in warm weather than in a cold kitchen in the winter) and put in a pre-heated oven, you should not have any problem.

Basic cake making is not quite as easy, but still not that bad. Trifle is a great way of using up cake that is not quite perfect, or re-heating it and having it with custard or ice cream. In short, you are not putting anything poisonous in to it, so it will be edible (to a greater or lesser extent).

Delia's "How to Cook" should cover it. Be brave and have a go.

babyocho Wed 06-Jul-11 13:59:19

I did the Leiths baking one a few years back. It was expensive (a gift), but really good and we made loads of stuff.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 06-Jul-11 16:03:25

For bread, try this. Once you have success with this, you can try other flours, and add seeds to the mix as well if you like (keep the flour quantities the same, the seeds would be an extra).

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 06-Jul-11 16:03:46

You could watch this or thisfor info on kneading.

skum Wed 06-Jul-11 17:15:27

many thanks for suggestions. I 'll check the links. But you know, if could see someone do it...it would have been easier smile..

regarding baking- i want to learn simple basic cakes

reastie Wed 06-Jul-11 21:40:35

would love to (I'm a cooking teacher) but I'm the other side of london (orpington)

BlackandGold Wed 06-Jul-11 22:20:46

Maybe your local Adult Education classes, run through the council?

Or try Googling it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now