Talk

Advanced search

recipe for lamb shank

(5 Posts)
givemeaclue Tue 05-Jul-11 14:41:16

HI i have a lamb shank hiding in the freezer - any recipe that serves two people with one shank and is quite easy?

thank you !

Xiaoxiong Wed 06-Jul-11 11:19:34

One lamb shank is not really much for two people as the centre of your meal, usually you allow 1 per person (depending on how much meat you tend to eat). I would make it as part of a stew with loads of veg/grains to bulk it out, or a curry with veg. A lot of recipes you see are likely to use at least 2 lamb shanks so you could either bulk out with more veg/grains/pulses (lentils and lamb go very well together) or halve the quantities.

A couple of recipes that I thought looked good:
braised with lentils and lovely step by step photos
lamb curry
braised lamb shanks with aromatics

wahwahwah Wed 06-Jul-11 11:25:12

I make a kind of stew/sauce/soup:

Fry an onion then brown off the shank (with any other chopped up cuts of meat in the fridge). Then I add a tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer for a long time until the meat tender and falling off the bone. Pull the meat off the bone - if there is lots of it just pull off the large chunks and serve that up with rice of potatoes like a stew, and the sauce left (with chunks of meat still in there) makes a lovely sauce of pasta.

Or you can add some choped veggies before the meat is tender, and serve up with boiled potatoes, or rice, gaerlic bread..... yummy.

givemeaclue Wed 06-Jul-11 18:30:08

Thanks for the tips...Yes I thought I would have an issue with the one shank - I will have to buy another one (available in packs of two for my tesco shop so will buy another 2 and make a portion for 3 and freeze the cooked portion )

i think I will braise the shanks like you have both suggested

thank you!

wahwahwah Wed 06-Jul-11 18:36:31

I usually cook one shank plus a slab of beef chopped up like above and it usually makes 2 meals for DS, so bulked up with potaotes, rice or pasta it should be enough for 2 adults. He does love his meat, that child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now